March 31, 2010

Humpastry Day - Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Muffins

Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Muffins
I had some strawberries that were starting to turn towards the limp side, so I thought I'd make some muffins.  I saw a great recipe on allrecipes.com and just tweaked it a little bit and added a couple ingredients to jazz it up a little.  I think the strawberry banana combo is super yummy and the muffins are sweet, but not too sweet.  However, you could easily decrease the amount of sugar if you wanted and I think they would still taste great.  Eat them for breakfast alongside a fruit salad, as a snack, or late evening treat.  I hope you like them!

Ingredients:
Makes 12 muffins
 *  2 flax eggs (2Tbl. ground flax mixed with 6Tbl. water until creamy)
*  1/2C unsweetened applesauce
*  1/4C canola oil
*  2 bananas, mashed
*  1tsp. vanilla extract
*  3/4C packed brown sugar

*  2C whole wheat flour
*  1tsp. baking soda
*  1/2C oats
*  1/2Tbl. cinnamon
*  1/4tsp. nutmeg
* 1C chopped fresh strawberries (or sliced frozen strawberries)

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or grease the cups if you don't have any.  **Note:  I usually use the liners b/c they are easy, make the muffins healthier due to not having the grease, and allow for easy clean-up.
2.  In a mixer, mix the ingredients from flax eggs to brown sugar until combined.
3.  In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except the strawberries.
4.  Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just moistened.  **Note: be careful not to over-mix or the muffins will be tough.
5.  Fold in the chopped strawberries until evenly distributed.
6.  Spoon the batter into the muffin cups until filled.  **Note: most muffin recipes say to fill the cups 3/4 the way, but for these, fill the cups to the top.
7.  Sprinkle with a little brown sugar if desired.
8.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
9.  Cool for a couple minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
10.  Enjoy!

19 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Now, strawberries are my favorite!!! This one is going on the fridge for Saturday afternoon baking!!! Thanks

Christi said...

Wow, those look really yummy!

Julie said...

Those look fantastic Aimee:) Strawberries are my little guy's favorite fruit!!

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

Yum yum and yum! I just bought two containers of beautiful strawberries this morning! These will be perfect to take to Karel's race this weekend. Did I mention...YUM!
-marn

Regina said...

You are killing me! When do you find the time to bake? I can barely find time to brush me teeth!

Thanks for the good vibes.

Sherri said...

Awesome! I am so excited to try these! Yummy!

teacherwoman said...

They look yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Those look awesome Aimee! Thanks for posting!

Amanda said...

uh, did anyone say "yum" yet? was looking for a tasty treat for a picnic tomorrow. This is perfect!

Kathy said...

These look delish. Thanks for your comments on my blog - I am sure rain pants are in my future! Look forward to reading more of yours.

jessithompson said...

omg...i wanna eat these RIGHT NOW!!!!

Alisa said...

YUM!

Can you send one over please?

Thanks for your comment on my blog too. You're now on my google reader.

liz said...

You must have read my mind ! I really wanted to make strawberry muffins last weekend but none of the recipes I found struck my fancy. These, however, sound amazing. I will definitely make them sometime. Thanks for posting the recipe !

Caratunk Girl said...

This sounds awesome! I need to bake more, all of your recipes sound so good - when are you coming to Maine? :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

YUMMY!! I wish I had a warm one now with a glass of milk. YUMMY!!

Anonymous said...

I think you can take the word "newbie" out of your profile status, and put in "veggie extraordinaire!" :)

RunToTheFinish said...

ha flax eggs, I love it! this recipe looks awesome. I know I won't make it through my current bananas so this is perfect and I can freeze these up to be ready for when I get back from traveling!

Charisa said...

Those look great!

Heather said...

I want to try these too! yum.