Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
* 1/2C unsweetened applesauce
* 1/4C canola oil
* 2 bananas, mashed
* 1tsp. vanilla extract
* 3/4C packed brown sugar
* 2C whole wheat flour
* 1tsp. baking soda
* 1/2C oats
* 1/2Tbl. cinnamon
* 1/4tsp. nutmeg
* 1C chopped fresh strawberries (or sliced frozen strawberries)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or grease the cups if you don't have any. **Note: I usually use the liners b/c they are easy, make the muffins healthier due to not having the grease, and allow for easy clean-up.
2. In a mixer, mix the ingredients from flax eggs to brown sugar until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except the strawberries.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just moistened. **Note: be careful not to over-mix or the muffins will be tough.
5. Fold in the chopped strawberries until evenly distributed.
6. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups until filled. **Note: most muffin recipes say to fill the cups 3/4 the way, but for these, fill the cups to the top.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Cool for a couple minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.