* This was a pretty good training week considering I didn't get much done last week. It was a little hard to get back into the swing of things after my in-laws left, but once I did, it felt great to be back at it. Here are my numbers for the week:
Bike: 3 1/2 hrs.
Run: 12.75 M (not great, but oh well)
Swim: 7034 yds (woohoo!)
* I got to do another OWS swim this morning. I stopped off at Starbucks for a pumpkin scone and soy chai latte (I know, I know, not the best breakfast, but it sure was yummy!), and headed for the lake. I got in the water and realized it was much warmer than Sunday, and it actually felt great (no aching, frozen feet today!). This means that the water temp. for my sprint tri on Friday will be nice too! Hooray! :)
* I officially started my marathon training this week. I looked at many different plans and finally decided to go with this one here. What I like about it is that it incorporates speed work and tempo runs. I also like how it has me running 3x a week (although I'm adding a 4th easy run day), which is totally doable with my Half Ironman training. So, I did my tempo run Thursday, which was awesome, and a long run (8M scheduled) today.
Now, I'm usually pretty good about my nutrition when it comes to working out, but for some reason, I totally blew it today! As you know, I didn't have the best breakfast. Then, I did my swim, came home around 9:30, then at 10:15 we headed to Wash Park where I could do my long run and my husband could run with the boys in the jogger. When we got to the park I realized I had not eaten anything except a pumpkin scone since 7:15 this morning. Yikes! Luckily, I had brought a Gu to eat during my run, but I knew I might be in trouble. Oh, and it was HOT this morning too...nice! I started my run and was feeling fine. I took some swigs out of my handheld every once in awhile and ate my Gu around mile 4. I was sweating like crazy and was getting really hot. Around mile 6, things started to turn. I started cramping really bad and knew that there was no way I was going to make it to 8 miles. I tried to regulate my breathing, but the cramps just started getting worse and eventually led to back cramps. I made it to 6.5 miles and finally had to stop and walk. I walked to the playground where my husband and boys were and called it a day. This is another one I can chalk up to dehydration! I feel so stupid for letting it happen, but for some reason my brain just wasn't functioning properly today (see bee post below for a possible reason why).
Hot and red post-run. My husband joked that the white sweat marks on my visor looked like the Rocky Mountains. Ha ha.Other things too:
So, last night around 11:30, my youngest son woke up crying and calling for me. I went into his room and he was sitting up straight in his bed. I asked him what was wrong and he said he saw a "buggy" that was buzzing and flying around him. I turned on his lamp and looked around and didn't see anything, but he was so scared and was on the verge of tears. Then, I remembered how there were a bunch of bees swarming around our flowers earlier and how we watched them at a safe distance until they flew away. So, I thought maybe he was just imagining the bees. Anyways, I tried to lay him back down, but he wanted his daddy, so I called my husband in. Again, he kept asking if we could see the bee, and we never saw anything or heard anything. We would get him calmed down, he would fall asleep, then wake up a little while later crying about the bee. This went on ALL NIGHT. Finally, after a 3AM cry, he went to sleep for good.
So, here's the kicker. I got back from my swim and my husband hands me a glass jar and says, "Look what I found in his room this morning." I looked, and there inside the jar was a tiny bee. OMG! I felt so bad, but honestly we never saw/heard the bee all the times we went in there. We just assumed he was having a bad dream about bees. Poor little guy! We made a point of letting the bee go into the flowers so he would know that the bee was no longer in his room. But, he's probably going to be scarred for life!
* My oldest has his last week of preschool this week. I can't believe how fast the year just flew by! It's crazy to think that it's almost June. Wow!
* Our peonies finally bloomed yesterday. We have two big bushes of them in our backyard and I absolutely love them. I look forward to them blooming every year because I just think they are so beautiful. :)
* I had to get another new training watch. I'm pretty sure the watch I got from Amazon was a total dud. It fogged up the first time I wore it swimming and has since lost all of its waterproof abilities. Ugh! I contacted Timex warranty and they said I had to send them a $7 check with the watch so they could mail it back to me. And, they said they couldn't guarantee that they could fix it or replace it! Are you kidding me? So, instead of dealing with them, I went to REI which is having a 25% off sale on Timex watches. I talked to the guy and ended up getting this lovely watch: