Homemade Cherry Energy Bars:
Makes 12 bars **Note: You could definitely double the recipe and make 24 bars in a 13x9" pan. I just did 12 because I wanted to make sure I like them before I made 24 of them!
* 1C uncooked rolled oats
* 3Tbl. ground flaxseed
* 1/4C chopped dried cherries
* 1/4C finely chopped almonds
* 1/4C brown rice syrup (can also use honey or maple syrup)
* 2Tbl. brown sugar
* 1/3C almond butter
* 1/4tsp. almond extract
1. Line an 8" square pan with wax paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine rice cereal, oats, flaxseed, cherries, and almonds
3. In a small saucepan over med-high heat, bring the syrup and brown sugar to a boil, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat and add the almond butter and almond extract. Stir until well blended.
5. Pour the almond butter mixture over the cereal mixture, stirring until coated. I used my hands to make sure it was well mixed.
6. Press the mixture firmly into the 8" pan and let cool. Once cooled, cut into 12 bars.
7. Wrap the bars in plastic wrap (or put in snack size ziploc bags) and store in the refrigerator.