runnersworld.com and really wanted to try them out. I have to say that I really like these! The combo of chocolate, dates, cherries, and lemon zest is really yummy! I made these this morning and ate one about 35 min. before my trainer ride because I was kind of dragging. I don't know if it was a placebo effect, but I actually felt like I got a burst of energy from this little bar. I don't think they would work too well on a ride because they're pretty sticky, so I plan on keeping them on hand in my fridge and using them pre-workout. .
Makes 12 bars
* 4Tbl. Agave syrup
* 1/4C cocoa powder
* 1/4C Chia seeds
* 1/2tsp. salt
* 1/2C dried cherries
* 1/2C chopped almonds
* 1/2C granola
* Zest of 1 lemon
1. Process ingredients in a food processor, 1/2 mixture at a time, until it clumps together.
2. Line an 8x8 pan (the original recipe called for a 10x8, but I didn't have one) with waxed paper.
3. Press the mixture into the pan. **Note: The mixture is really sticky. I actually used a latex glove to spread the mixture in the pan.
Gross looking, but oh so good! :)
4. Put the pan in the freezer for 15 min.
5. Cut into 12 bars
6. Wrap in plastic wrap or put in snack sized ziploc bags and store in the refrigerator.