Fresh Strawberry Scones:
Makes 8 scones
* 1/3C raw sugar (or more to taste)
* 1tsp. baking powder
* 1/4tsp. baking soda
* 1/2tsp. salt
* Zest and juice from 1/2 and orange
* 8Tbl. coconut oil (or unsalted butter, frozen)
* 1/2C plain soy yogurt
* 1 flax egg (1Tbl. flax mixed with 3Tbl. water)
* 1/2C fresh strawberries, chopped (or frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If using a baking stone, put it in the oven to preheat as well.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt and flax egg together until smooth. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest together.
4. Add the coconut oil, bits at a time. OR, if using butter, grate the butter into the flour mixture.
5. Use your fingers to work in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
6. Add the strawberries and yogurt mix to the mixture.
**Note: if the mixture is too wet, add more flour.
8. Place on a lightly floured surface and form ball into a 8" circle and 3/4" thick.
9. Use a sharp knife to cut the circle into 8 triangles.
11. Place the pieces on the baking stone, or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
12. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
Here's how to make a glaze for the top:
1. Squeeze the juice from the orange into a small bowl.
2. Add some powdered sugar, a little at a time, until you have the desired consistency and taste. I'm not putting an amount of sugar because I think powdered sugar is REALLY sweet and tend to use as little as possible. However, some of you may like it super sweet and should add more to your taste.
3. Once the scones are cooled, drizzle the glaze on top.