March 16, 2010

One step closer to a goal

One of my New Years goals was to take swimming lessons to try and figure out why I suck so much at swimming.  Well, needless to say I have been procrastinating contacting a swim coach.  I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with the fact that I know my swim needs major help and in order to improve I am going to have to get in the pool.  I actually love to swim, but I do not love having to wake up at 4:30 to get it done.

Last week I finally bit the bullet, emailed the swim coach, and set up a day to meet.  That day ended up being Sunday.  I was super nervous because I have really been slacking with my swim training.  Technically, my HIM training doesn't start for a few more weeks, but I wanted to get in the pool on a regular basis so I wouldn't lose all of my swim fitness.  However, it's been a bit of a failure.  :(

(Read on to see what I have in common with this cartoon!)

I got to the rec center and met the coach at the pool.  The water was surprisingly cold, but it could have just been my nerves.  I tend to get really cold when I'm nervous.  Anyways, he had me swim a 100 to just see where I'm at and I had a hard time getting into a rhythm right off the bat.  Like I said before, I was pretty nervous and it's just hard for me to "perform" when someone is watching me.  But, I got over it really quickly because I knew he was there to help me and help is what I need!  Apparently, I have some balance issues.  But, the main issue I have is that my hips and feet sink too much when I swim.  No wonder I'm so slow, I'm making a big amount of drag in the water...ughh!  We worked on a lot of drills that I hope will help with my issues and he gave me some other things to work on when I swim.  The lesson ended up being great and I'm so glad I contacted him.  I'll let you know how our next session goes in a couple of weeks.

Oh, when I was in the locker room getting ready to change his wife walked in.  Apparently, she had been swimming too.  She introduced herself and asked me if I swim 3 times a week.  I told her that I have been trying, but life/kids/sleep get the best of me some days.  She was really nice and told me that if I could just commit to swim 3 times a week for one month that I would start to see some improvements.  Now, she (and her husband) have completed numerous Ironmans, so I think I should listen to what they have to say-don't you think?  Basically, I just need to HTFU, get out of bed when my alarm goes off, and get to the pool.

So far, I've done one swim this week and it was great!  I did the drills my coach instructed me to do and then just swam, really trying to focus on my form.  I can definitely feel my hips and feet sink.  So, I tried to push my chest out (if that makes sense) and it helped.  My hips and feet rose closer to the surface.  So, 1 swim down, 2 to go (at least for this week).  :)

As a side note, my boys have their first swimming lessons today!  Maybe we'll be working on the same drills...ha ha!

17 comments:

misszippy said...

You're so smart to consult with a coach for swimming. It will make all the difference. And I agree that 3x/week is a good amount. I only make it 2x/week these days and I am that much slower for not making the time for 3x/week like I used to!

Christi said...

Way to go! You had the courage to have someone help you and that is the first step. Listen to me, I sound like you are in a 12 step program or something! Anyway, good luck on 3xweek. I am working on that one also!

Tricia said...

great job facing your fears!

Ron said...

yeah, those lessons will reap big rewards! Nice job!

Regina said...

Way to go! She is totally right, if you commit to 3 days/week for a month you will see progress, I'm living proof. It's tough to do things that make us uncomfortable, but that is what makes completeing them so much more rewarding. I'm beginning to sound like a self-help book.

I must have missed it, which HIM are you doing?

JC said...

Good for you for getting the coach. I'm sure you are going to see progress. Take it one step at a time. I had a girfriend who learned how to swim so she could do a 1/2 IM and she ended up cutting down her 100m by 1 min becuase of a coach. Great Job!

RockStarTri said...

Good job. MrsCoach is right. Swim improvement for most comes with frequency. Often it is better to go 3 30 minute sessions rather than one 90 minute session per week. Of course, life gets in the way from time to time with swimming but remember for HIM and longer is all about the bike.

Julie said...

Good for you!!! Like you I really want to try to commit to making it 3 times a week...like you getting everything ready so I can get out the door in the morning is difficult..Good luck to both of us!

DRog said...

Great job biting the bullet! I'm going to do the same next week thanks for sharing this ... - D

Jon said...

Way to go! What drills did he give you? Kicking on my back really helped me with balance issues.

Which HIM are you doing?

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

How you Triathletes fit it all in is beyond me. CRAZY!! Congrats on breaking the water...hmmm maybe that is not the expression. I am not a swimmer :)

AM! said...

Nice call on hiring a coach. I've wished there was a Master's group around me to join as well, but no suck luck. But I have been swimming 3-4x's a week, and I have seen improvement...but not much in the way of speed, but i think I won't be as wiped coming out of the water this time for my next tri.
oh, and i'm on the hunt still for those de soto shorts. hoping to find em' tomorrow;-)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

a coach works wonders, especially discipline specfic coaches

joyRuN said...

Exciting!!

Stick with it - I'd been trying to be good about swimming regularly but didn't see big improvements until 1) coached swim and 2) getting in the pool at least 2x/week.

Those drills are eye-opening, aren't they?

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful resource!!! I've improved drastically since joining a masters swim club, so like they said, just stick with it, you totally will!!! :)

Aimee said...

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!

Regina and Jon: I'm signed up for the Boulder 70.3 in August. I was going to do the Harvest Moon HIM again, but the weather can be so tricky here in Sept, so I opted for an Aug. one instead.

As far as the drills go, he told me to use fins to do Supermans on my stomach and back and some side balance drills really similar to the total immersion balance ones. Using the fins is a totally different experience, but I can see why he's having me wear them.

Mnowac said...

Good for you! I need to do the same thing when I get back into tris, hopefully next summer). I am a sucky swimmer, but I think if you stick with it once a month and can confidently swimm 1500m, then you should join a masters swim group if you can fit it into your schedule. I imporved soooo much by being in the water with others. It wasn't even that I was competitive with them, it was just that I was too embaressed to get out of the water early so I was swimming 3000+m at least once a week! That helped me a lot.

Also, while you are starting out, you might want to get a pair of swim fins, omg the difference it makes. Swimming is a ton easier with them on b/c they propel you forward like crazy, they can be a great training tool if you only keep them on half of your swim. GOod luck!