March 22, 2010

First ride outside!

Today was absolutely beautiful, and a welcome change from the cold and snow on Saturday.  My husband actually had today off so he went for a long bike ride this morning while I held down the fort with our boys.  Then, this afternoon we all headed out for a ride together.  My husband took our boys in the burley and I got out my new tri bike.  The boys were so excited because this was the first time they've been able to go on a bike ride probably since this fall.  But, I think I was even more excited because this was the first time I've been able to ride outside since fall too!  And, I got to ride my new tri bike which I've only ridden outside once, which was on the day I picked it up in October!


Although my road bike had clip on aero bars and I was used to riding in aero, I was a little nervous about taking out my tri bike because of the more aggressive aero position.  Plus, the shifters are completely different than my road bike.  I stayed with my husband and boys for a little while, then took off on my ride while they went to play at the park.  

Once I was off on my own, all the nervousness went away.  It just felt so good to finally be riding outside.  You can ride every day on a trainer, but it's a completely different experience riding outside.  I got into aero without any hesitation and started passing other riders (not that there were too many out on a Monday afternoon, but it still felt great!).  I felt sooo fast and light.  I tried to look at my Garmin to see how fast I was going, but for some reason it wasn't reading.  Turns out when my husband switched out my wheels he forgot to put the cadence sensor back on, so my Garmin had nothing to read...ha ha.

It's amazing how different my tri bike is than my road bike.  I mean, I love my road bike and it will always hold a special place in my heart.  But, my tri bike is just so comfortable and did I mention fast?  :)  I completed the loop and headed back to meet up with my husband and boys.  I couldn't ride too long, but I got in a good 45 minutes during one of our snowiest months.  I'll take it!  Oh, and I'm glad I did because the forecast calls for more snow tomorrow...boo!      

It's definitely going to be hard to get back on the trainer after being outside.  But, I know my next ride outside will come sooner rather than later.  Thank you Mrs. Spring for giving us a glimpse of your warmth today.  It was awesome! :)

19 comments:

Velma said...

Nice work! I am drooling over the bike.

AM! said...

Sooo funny that you post this b/c yesterday was my FIRST outdoor bike ride in like ~7 mo's..seriously. and man is it DIFFERENT! It took me a good ~40 minutes to acclimate and then it felt good. And today i spun outdoors and I think i'm gonna like this outdoor bike thing too!;-)

Sherri said...

I have not ventured into tri's yet...although I would like too. The whole bike thing is what is holding me back...and now I find out there is a tri bike! Wow! So much to grasp! I am excited to read up on your blog and learn.

RockStarTri said...

Feeling fast on the tri bike is a good feeling. Enjoy

Julie said...

Nice bike Aimee!! Possibly one of my next purchases along with compression socks & tights, a foam roller and many other useful needed things:) I am glad that your bike ride went well!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

NICEEEEEEE!!! And the first ride of the year on your TT, I havent dusted my TT off yet, I love my roadie.

BTW what name did you give your bike?

Julie said...

Woohoo for spring weather!!!! I managed to get out yesterday for about 45 minutes too....I'm so ready! Snow, snow go away!!!!!

Love the bike!

Krista said...

Sounds like an excellent ride - woohoo! I love the new bike too! I can't wait to get outside!

Christi said...

What a great looking ride!!!! I am so glad that you were able to get out and ride! I rode on Sunday and it felt great! Let's here it for spring weather without snow!

Regina said...

So jealous. That is a sexy bike!

Unknown said...

Sweet ride!! Have fun on her this season!!

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on your ride! The bike is super hawt, too! :)

DRog said...

Nice RIDE it LOOKS fast !!!

misszippy said...

Love the new bike! Glad you enjoyed your first ride on it. You're right--the trainer will be no fun after that!

Anonymous said...

love that first outdoor ride....puts some perspective on the "work" you've put into your trainer and spin class sessions..

Angela and David said...

Love the bike! Looks super fast. Hope you are able to get out on it again soon!

jessithompson said...

Beautiful bike, holy cow!

Kathleen said...

Hey Aimee,
Nothing like another HUGE snow storm to keep us inside. I think we have a foot of snow in Highlands Ranch and we still have tonight and tomorrow to go. It was nice to read your thoughts about your new bike. I have a road bike with clip on aero bars and I have started to get the itch to go test ride some tri bikes. Not that I need one but it sure is tempting. I see you are doing the Boulder 70.3. I am doing it also if I can get the nerve to actually show up at the start :) It is quite intimidating. I never have done a HIM and NEVER thought I would!
Happy riding!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I've been loving getting my new tri bike out on the roads finally, I got mine in December, so I share the same feelings, anxiety and nervousness!!! Sweet ride! :)