March 24, 2010

Humpastry Day - Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Nut Cookies

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Nut Cookies
We got about a foot of snow last night, so the boys and I had a snow day today.  It's been awhile since we've made cookies, so I thought it would be fun to make some cookies with them.  I found a recipe for Vegan cookies on recipezaar that I liked, but I tweeked it a little bit to make it a little healthier.  I wasn't sure how the cookies were going to turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised and I will definitely be making these again!  Another great thing about these cookies is that they are vegan if you use vegan chocolate chips.  I just had regular chocolate chips, so that's what I used.    

With my boys on stools next to me, they helped me pour the ingredients in the mixer and of course tasted the batter when it was ready.  The great thing about this recipe is that there are no eggs in it, so there's nothing to be afraid of when eating this batter. And, I have to say that the batter is really good!  You could probably just make these raw cookies, if you're into eating raw, but the finished product is super yummy!  The combination of ingredients works really well together and brings a different flare to regular chocolate chip cookies.  I hope you like them!

Ingredients:
Makes roughly 24 cookies

*  1/3C almond/cashew/peanut butter (I used almond butter...yum!)
*  2Tbl. canola oil
*  3/4C raw sugar
*  1/3C soymilk
*  1tsp. vanilla extract
*  1C whole wheat flour
*  1/2tsp. baking soda
*  1/2tsp. salt
*  1C rolled oats
*  2/3C chocolate chips
*  1/2C chopped walnuts/macadamia nuts (I used walnuts)  

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2.  Mix together all the ingredients from almond butter to vanilla extract.
3.  In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, oats, and chopped nuts.
4.  Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and mix until just combined.
5.  Fold in the chocolate chips
6.  Drop by Tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet
7.  Bake 10-12 minutes.  Note:  these cookies do not spread out like regular cookies, so it's kind of hard to tell if they're done.  Just keep checking on them to make sure they don't burn.
These cookies are actually done.  You can see in this picture how the cookies stay as a ball and don't spread.
8.  Remove cookie sheet from oven and let cookies cool on sheet for a couple of minutes before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Note: Like I mentioned above, the cookies don't spread, so when I took them out of the oven I flattened them a little with a spatula, and then let them sit for a couple of minutes on the sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack.
This is a picture of me flattening them with my spatula.  :)

After shoveling the driveway, playing in the snow with my boys, and building a snowman, these were the perfect treat - with a glass of milk of course! :)   

15 comments:

n/a said...

Those look amazing! Thank you for sharing all these wonderful recipes. I LOVE humpastry day!

Jon said...

A FOOT!!! Your kidding me!

You are also killing me with these humpastry day posts. Now I gotta make some cookies.... ;)

DRog said...

Was thinkin the same thing as Jon...Your Killn Me with the humpastry day visual aid posts...on my way up to the kitchen for a cookie or something...!
D

Regina said...

wow, from sunny to snow in a heartbeat. I actually thought of you when I heard the weather the other day and what you were about to be hit with.

Ok, those cookies look so good!! I can't keep up with your baking prowess!

Anonymous said...

Love Humpastry day!! These cookies look amazing!!

AM! said...

really.. you better be saving all these posts/pics/recipes for your first cookbook down the road.
aloha!;-)

jessithompson said...

yummmmmmmmy.

Julie said...

Hi Aimee,
Here we have another one to write down:) I agree w/Anne Marie...future cookbook in the works! Thanks, I love it when you post recipes!

Christi said...

Yummy!

Blake said...

Wow those look so good.... always looking for good cookie recipes!

Sherri said...

I am so excited to make these! Yummy!

JC said...

Those look pretty darn tasty! YUMMMM!

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

i keep reading about all this snow!!! i'm so thankful we didn't get any... but these are my fav cookies. thanx again for sharing. i've never tried almond butter but it sounds yummy!

Charisa said...

YUM! Crazy snow :)

Chef Amber Shea said...

This looks like a really solid recipe! Not too much oil or sugar...you've sold me on it; I think this needs to go on my to-bake list.
The best part of vegan cookies is definitely eating the batter! I often feel like the baking part is just an afterthought after I snack on batter, heh.