March 13, 2010

My 10 mile run and a new favorite running trail!

Today I decided to run on the Highline Canal trail for my long run.  I've been wanting to run on the trail ever since my husband and I ran there with our boys, but because it's not paved, it's been pretty much snow/ice covered and muddy.  However, we've had some warm days this week so I was banking on it being dry.  I'm so glad I decided to try it because it was awesome!  Here is a view of the trail from where I started.
It was around 55 degrees out so I was able to wear shorts and a short-sleeved shirt.  Woohoo!  The trail was beautiful and scattered with other runners, walkers, and mountain bikers.  I thought about how fun it would be next weekend for me to run while my husband pulled our boys in the burley with his mountain bike.  They have been asking to go on a "bike" ride for awhile now, so hopefully the weather will cooperate next week.  I was also imagining how beautiful this trail will be this spring/summer when the leaves bloom on the trees and the canal is actually running with water, not just filled with ice.  And, a great thing about the trail is that it goes for miles in both directions so I know this will be great for when I do my marathon training.  Oh...I can't wait to run on it again.  It is definitely my new favorite running trail!  :)

Here are the stats for my run:
Miles:  10
Time:  1:25:10
Pace:  8:31

Look at all that sweat on my visor....gross!  I do sweat like a pig though, so I'm not surprised. 

So, I absolutely love my Nathan handheld water bottle, but it only holds 16oz. and the front pouch is only big enough for some beans and bloks.  I haven't been running with my cell phone because of this, but my husband and I both feel that it would be better if I was able to bring it with me.  Plus, I think I would just feel safer knowing that help is just a phone call away.  Anyways, I went to my local running store yesterday and after doing lots of research and talking to some other runners, I decided to get the Nathan Speed 4 waist pack.  It has 4-10oz flasks and 2 pouches. 
Now I don't really like things around my waist, even a race belt drives me nuts, but this was super comfortable!  I liked the 40oz capacity and the fact that the two pouches will hold my nutrition, cell phone, key, and whatever else I may need.  Anyways, I got it and tried it out on my run today.  It took some adjusting in the beginning, but honestly, after awhile I didn't even feel it.  It was great.  Here's a picture of how I finally wore it.
 The small pouch and 2 bottles in the front and the big pouch and other 2 bottles in the back

I only used 2 of the 4 bottles, because I didn't need all 40 oz. so that's why one of the holders is empty.  The other filled bottle is in the back.  I loved having one pouch up front with my nutrition right at my fingertips, and my water/gatorade right there as well.  I was so impressed with this waist pack that I am planning on doing a Sunday Sampler post about it after I wear it a few more times.  Look for it in the future!  

I will see you tomorrow for a new Sunday Sampler post!  I hope you are all having a great weekend!  :)

8 comments:

DRog said...

Great run! - CO. looks nice right now...we're gettin there -D

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Looks like a GREAT trail.. I have switched from Belts to handhelds, I got so tired of the bouncing.. I just got an ifitness belt and it fits my cell perfect.

misszippy said...

That looks like the perfect trail! I love soft surfaces like that. I am spoiled w/ my long runs--don't have to ever carry anything b/c my club runs include 3 water stops. Still, the belt looks like a good idea.

Julie said...

Hi Aimee,
Wow 55 degrees and shorts...I can't wait! It looks like you had a nice run with some very pretty scenery:) I am hoping to get out a little later and do my MG trail run....hoping that it is free of snow!

I like your belt and need to find something like that for my longer runs and races:) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

joyRuN said...

Looks like an awesome trail - glad it was finally ice/snow free.

I converted from belt to handheld last year - I got sick & tired of adjusting the belt to find a comfy spot.

Chef Amber Shea said...

Beautiful trail!
I have a love/hate relationship with my fuel belt, but one thing I can say about it is that it makes marathon day (or running in any actual race, for that matter) feel so much easier because you're NOT wearing it!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Nice work

Does that belt have a race bib fasteners? I am looking for a new one.

Christi said...

The trail does look great! I will have to come up and try that one sometime!