March 19, 2010

Swimming, Intervals, and Yoga...oh my!

Swimming:
I did it!  I got up at 4:30 three times this week to swim.  Woohoo!  And, it felt great!  Today was tough though because this is the forecast:
(Note: the high of 36 actually happened around 1AM.  The real high for the day will only be in the 20s..brrr)
Yep, after 3 days in the mid to upper 60s, we're in for some snow.  Not just a light dusting, but 5-10 inches of snow!  So, all I wanted to do this morning when my alarm went off was stay in my warm, cozy bed.  But, I fought the urge and went to the pool.  And, it was the best swim of the week!  I had the pool to myself for the first 30 min and just plugged away on my drills.

Along with some balance drills, one of the drills my coach has me doing is the Superman on my front and back with fins.
(Here are my zoomers.  And yes, I still have an ugly toenail.  I just haven't gotten around to painting them yet!)
When I use the fins I can really feel it in my hip flexors, and it has made me conscious of my kick and my hips.  Plus, it's amazing how aware I become of those things when I take the fins off and swim normal.  Do any of you use fins?  If so, what are your thoughts on them?

Intervals:
On Wednesday it was 68 degrees for a high, so I gathered my boys, toys, snacks, and running stuff and headed to the track.  My plan called for 7x400 repeats.  Here are my splits:
wu: 800 - 4:08
ms: 7x400 - 1:31, 1:31, 1:33, 1:32, 1:32, 1:32, 1:33 (roughly a 6:00/mile pace)
cd: 1 lap ran with my boys.
My 4 1/2 yr. old wanted to run really fast, so I let him, and ran with my 2 1/2 yr. old.  It's so cute seeing their little legs move as fast as they can.  And, I know someday they'll be taller than me (I'm only 5' 4") and their little legs will be long legs moving much faster than mine.  Ha ha.

We went to the playground afterwards and played for a good 45minutes before heading home.  It was a great way to end a great workout.

Yoga:
 My yoga class on Thursday was very interesting, but in a good way.  We started by doing sun salutations, runners pose, planks, and downward dogs.  Then, we transitioned into a good 40 minutes of balance poses followed by stretching.  Somewhere in the middle of the class she had us do this crazy exercise.  Here is my best description of it:  Sit on the ground with your legs straight out in front of you. Then, bend your left knee, put your foot as close to your butt as you can, and pull your knee tight into your chest with your arms.  While keeping your back straight, lift your right leg and swing it left to right in a steady motion.  Do this for several minutes, relaxing your right foot on the ground when you need to.  Then, switch sides.  Wow!  This really worked my hip flexors and thigh.  It was tough because once my leg got tired I would want to slouch, but she kept telling us to keep our backs straight.  If any of you decide to try this, let me know what you think about it.  Was it hard, or do I just have really weak hip flexors??


This exercise was interesting to me because I never would have thought to do that.  I can see doing it on a regular basis to help strengthen my hip flexors which will maybe help with my swim kick.  Well, that's what I'm thinking anyway.       


And now, I'll leave you with a picture I just took from my patio:
Although the first day of spring is tomorrow, this is just another reminder that March is our snowiest month.  Sigh...60 degrees, please come back!

15 comments:

RockStarTri said...

I use zoomers for most drills (the exception is the fist drill).

Good job getting in the water 3x this week. This training thing is mental sometimes (forcing yourself to go) in addition to physical.

justme said...

i use fins when i do drills, the coach makes me b/c she wants me to NOT get to tired and be able to focus on my form and last the entire workout.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

NOOOOOOOOOOO, please, please, please, PLEASE dont send that my way, pretty please!!!

Velma said...

I have never used fins, but I think I will try them soon. Sorry about the weather - we will have it this weekend as well. Your yoga class sounds like crazy fun!!

Caratunk Girl said...

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT WHITE $HIT?

n/a said...

Caratunk girl - HAHAHA

I haven't used fins either but I think it's time to add them and mix things up a bit. Great job getting up early to swim. I feel like getting out of bed is half the battle - especially when it's cold out side and you have to head to the pool!

teacherwoman said...

We had temps in the upper 30's and lower 40's all week... heat wave, for sure... and not its back down in the lower 30's and pretty windy here. yuck.

I am going to have to try that yoga move... I think I have really week hips.

Christi said...

I just started using fins. I am hoping they will just help me be a better swimmer or at least one that doesn't have a runner's kick!

Julie said...

Hi Aimee,
I am so sorry about the snow and cooler temps! That sucks! If it makes you feel better it sucks here today too! It is much colder and it is yucky out with no sunshine:(

Awesome job on your swimming...you are doing so good! Enjoy your weekend!

AM! said...

That's seriously a picture from your patio window this am? Dang! Brrrr!
and freakin' nice job w/the 3x 4:30am swims. that's some serious motivation you got.
and I use fins a lot. I'm supposed to get a pair of those zoomers too, and haven't gotten around to it yet. But my DH and coach swear by them.

DRog said...

I love seeing the graphics of your NBC Denver affiliate reminds me when I lived there! The playground counts as a workout...chalk it up! great great job getting up that early 3x for swimming this week I am hoping to match you tomorrow morning...-D

JC said...

Way to go with the swims - YAHOO! Nice run too!

Jon said...

oh no about the snow!!! That is so cruel to go from 60 to 5-10 inches!

thanks for the heads up on the zoomers. I might finally break down and get a pair.

Rebecca DeWire said...

I am so impressed that you got up at 4:30 to swim! That takes some serious dedication. And I love that you took your kids to the track, that is a great idea.

Michelle Simmons said...

I use fins sometimes.... but usually just when I want to really get my HR up HIGH. 50's sprint with fins are the hardest things you'll ever do in the pool! :)
You got me too with the switch from swimming to 'intervals' on this blog b/c I thought you SWAM 7 x 400's in 1:30 and I was like, Dang! World Record! You go girl! ;)