April 3, 2010

Saved by the porta-potty!

So, I'm sure you all know where this post is going, but I'll start from the beginning anyways.  My plan called for a 12 mile run, my last long run before my 1/2 marathon next weekend.  I decided to run on the Highline Canal again because I honestly just love that trail.  It's so beautiful, great to run on b/c it's dirt, and there's always fun things to look at.

I started my run with 20mph wind gusts blowing every which way and was immediately grateful I wore capris, my bondiband to keep my wisps at bay, and a long sleeve shirt.  It was a little chilly and running into the wind was not fun.  Have I mentioned before how much I hate the wind?  I mean, you can have a beautiful, sunny day that ends up being cold because of the wind.  Ughhh.  Anyways, once I got more into the trail, the trees blocked some of the wind and I actually started getting hot.  I think I took my long sleeve shirt off around mile 3.  The trail was beautiful and there were quite a few people out running, walking, and biking.  I felt safe the entire time and never got that  heebie-jeebie feeling I sometimes get when I run alone.

My run was going really well and I felt strong and fast until about mile 6.  Something started churning a little bit in my stomach.  I was hoping it would go away b/c the trail isn't the best place to sneak in some business (if you know what I mean).  Although it runs along a canal lined with trees, it has houses on both sides.  There are spots where you could potentially hide behind a tree or a bush, but they're few and far between.  And, because there are so many people that use the trail, there's not much privacy.  Anyways, the feeling kept getting worse and I honestly didn't know what I was going to do.  Then, just as I was starting to panic, out of nowhere I saw a parking lot where people could park to access the trail.  And, the best sight of all, was a porta-potty at the far end of the parking lot!  Que angels singing!  I have never loved the sight of a porta-potty as much as I did just then!  I ran to that thing as fast as I could.  And, it was open...thank god!  I did my business and kept on with the rest of my run.

My legs had a hard time getting back to normal after my stop, but after awhile I was back on track with my pace.  I got to about mile 8 and my right knee started to hurt a little bit.  I thought, "What is this?"  I haven't had knee pain since college!  I don't know if it was the uneven terrain on the trail or what, but I did not like that feeling.  I kept thinking about it and focusing on it, and the more I thought about it, the worse it felt.  Finally, I said, "Enough!"  out loud on the trail.  Thankfully no one was around to hear me!  I tried to forget about it and focus on other things like the massive million dollar houses that surrounded me.  Or the birds singing in the trees.  Or the beautiful trees and blue sky.  Or the couple that was walking a little too tense and looked like they had just had a major fight.  And, what do you know, the pain stopped and it didn't bother me for the rest of the run.  I don't know what it is about the mind, but it is a powerful thing.  I honestly believe that what we are capable of doing is more mental then physical.  Anybody else think that??

The last 1 1/2 miles were up a slight incline and my calves were killing me!  My pace slowed a little bit, but I was still pushing on.  I started thinking about my 1/2 next weekend and how it will be 1.1 miles more than what I was doing today.  I've done 1/2s before, but I really want to try and get a PR this time.  I've never run the course so that will be interesting, and the weather is always a factor here, but I feel ready.  If I don't get a PR I will be o-kay with it, as long as I know that I gave it my all.

Happy to be done with my 12 Miler!  
Here are my stats for my run:
Miles: 12
Time:  1:40:55
Pace:   8:24/mile
Anyways, I hope you are all having a wonderful Easter weekend!  I'm off to die eggs with my boys! :)          

13 comments:

misszippy said...

I feel your pain--such a miserable feeling. YOu probably thought that port-a-potty was a mirage! I think you'll do great next weekend. My friends and I always say the worse your legs feel the week before a race, the better you'll do. Good luck!

DRog said...

those Porta Pottie's can be a great sight - lol
great run, great pace
-D

Christi said...

Great job of using your mind to get rid of that knee pain! You are on your way young jedi! Good Luck next weekend! The course is not too bad. I don't think I will be PRing this time. I am just treating it like a training run.

Marny said...

The wind was nuts here today too! Glad you found that porta potty and had a good run :)

Julie said...

Hi Aimee,
You had a great time for your 12 miler!! Great pace...I would be thrilled to keep that up for a half marathon:) I hope that you and your family have a Happy Easter!

Maggs said...

One of the really nice things about running in Hawaii is the vast # of beach parks with restrooms. Probably every 2-3 miles. So nice.

Unknown said...

Nice run! I dread that feeling of needing to go, with nowhere to go. Glad the port-a-potty or "potty rocket" as my son calls them, saved you!

Kathleen said...

Aimee, as I started reading your post I kept thinking that you and I had the same experience. Actually, you and I were on the same trail. I was running east and trying to figure out if I could hide in the canal somewhere if needed. At one point I was thinking about how people "adopt a road" or whatever and that I would be happy to adopt a port-a-potty if one would magically appear. Also, I loved the route (never been on it before) and want to run on it again. Then like you, there it was.. a parking lot with a port-a-potty in it! Who knows, we might have passed each other. I would have been the one running a good 2.5-3 minutes slower then you..especially when going against the wind. It was SO windy! I was waiting for the tree branches to break off and hit someone.
Best of luck for the race next weekend and setting a PR.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I have been saved many times by port-o-johns!

As for the skirts, I have never once gotten a wedgie. The brief is on the snug side and doesn't shift. They also make what they call "basic skirts" that slide over your short/pant of choice.

And thanks for the complements on my pics!

Suzy said...

Congrats on the great run! GL next weekend!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I was saved by one this weekend on my ride

AM! said...

That's so funny that you and misszippy ran the same course! did you know you live by each other?
wow.
and oooh! you have a race next weekend. i'll live vicariously thru you;-0

Regina said...

Holy crap! (ok, that was fully intended). your post is like mine with the angels, how funny. It was a pooping kind of weekend for all it seems. I am traveling with TP from now on.