April 30, 2010

A week in review and other things too

Wow!  When I first started this blog I didn't think anyone would want to read what I had to say.  Now,  I have over 60 followers and I cannot believe it!  So, if you are a new follower, welcome!  :) 
  
Training:
Here are my numbers for the week:  I know the numbers are low, but I swapped my weekend workouts for family time.  Once my training really kicks in I'm not going to have the luxury of skipping workouts.  So, it was the choice I made, and I wouldn't have had it any other way! :)
(What I've done is in green and what I still need to do is in purple)
Swim:  3830yd / nada
Bike:  1 hr. / 1hr. today 
Run:  2hr. 15 min (15.5M) / nada


*  This has actually been a great training week (minus the skipped workouts over the weekend).  I'm in week 2 of my plan and am getting back into training mode.  The hardest part so far as been trying to figure out WHEN to fit it all in.  I've decided that on the days I have to run and bike, I have to do one of those during my son's nap time.  If I don't do that, then it's most likely to get skipped or moved to another day, which I really don't want to do.  


* I went to my Masters swimming class on Thursday again, only to find that it was canceled due to the high Ph and chlorine content in the pool.  I guess they switched to a new chlorine system and it screwed the whole balance up in the water.  I was so bummed because 1) I got up early to go, and 2) I really wanted to get back in there and see if the lesson would go better than my first.  I guess I'll just have to wait another week.

* I've started getting some weird pain on the outside of my ankle.  I do not think it is a stress fracture, but I'm not sure what it is.  It's kind of like a burning sensation and hurts intermittently when I work out.  What's weird is that it actually hurts more when I first start to bike then when I run.  My husband thinks it could be Peroneal Tendonitis.  So, I've been icing it every night and taking some Aleve.  So far, it seems to be helping, but I have to be consistent with it or it flairs up again.  I'm really nervous about it because I'm just starting my HIM training and I would hate to be sidelined with an injury.  If it gets worse or continues I'm definitely going to see a doctor.

*  O-kay, I have a clothing question.  I am in search for a new tri top, and so far I just haven't found one that I absolutely love.  My question is: are tri specific tops necessary or can you wear a fitted, wicking running tank?  I have been doing tris for about 4 years now and have always worn a tri top, but I'm wondering if they are necessary?  I know tri tops have pockets in the back, but I have actually never used those in my races.

Also, for the women out there, do you wear a sports bra under your top?  After nursing two boys, I don't have much left, but I still get bounce when I run.  Most of my tri tops have a shelf bra, but they're not that supportive.
So, what do you think?  Should I stick with a tri top or chance a running top? And, do you have a tri top that you absolutely love?  I welcome any suggestions you have! :) 


*  I'm getting geared up for my first OWS this weekend.  I have my wetsuit soaking in the tub as I write this.  The place where I swam last year was awesome, but they are working on the lake and the water level is really low.  I'm not sure what the condition of the lake will be in when I go out there, but I'm really hoping that the water is still high enough to swim comfortably without being able to touch the slimy plants...yuck!  If it's not, I guess I'll have to find a new place to swim.  

*  Have any of you heard about hottristuff.com ?  I saw it mentioned in an email I got and decided to check it out.  I guess it's a place where you can buy and sell used tri specific stuff.  I thought it was a pretty cool concept.  Don't you think?

Life:
*  I am once again fortunate enough to be able to stay home with my boys for one more year.  My husband and I sat down and figured out that what I would be making as a part time teacher would basically go right to paying for both of our sons to be in preschool, which is ridiculous.  While I love teaching and someday want to go back into the classroom, I am not feeling a strong desire to be back in the work force again.  Plus, my boys are still so young and I know that soon enough they will be spending more time in school then they do at home.  I guess I'm just not ready to give them up yet.  :)
 
*  I got my shirt from the SheRox triathlon I'm doing in June.  One thing that's great about doing an all women tri is that the shirts are actually cut for women.  **Rant on: Guys, I know you never have this problem, but girls, we all know how frustrating it is to get a cool race shirt that doesn't quite fit right.  I have a whole closet full of those that I now wear as P.J.s or work shirts.  When are companies going to realize that women do not wear smaller versions of men's shirts.  Our bodies are built completely different!  After doing tris for 4 years, there has only been one other race, the 5430 sprint tri, that made women specific shirts!  Can you believe that?  I think it's just ridiculous!  Rant off. 

* We have had a ton of rain over the last couple of weeks, and the spring flowers are blooming everywhere.   Have I mentioned before that I love flowers?  Next weekend, Mother's day weekend, is our annual tradition to get flowers to plant all around our house and in our planters.  I CANNOT WAIT!  Even my boys are asking when we'll get to plant our flowers and start our vegetable garden.  Each of our sons has his own plantar that he gets to fill with whatever flowers he chooses from the nursery, so they're getting pretty excited.  I know it might sound lame that they're excited about planting flowers, but we all love spending time outside making our yard and outdoor space clean and beautiful (The inside of course is a different story with toys all over the place, snack crumbs on the kitchen floor, and dirty socks scattered throughout the house..ha ha).

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!  :)      

20 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I have no clue on the clothing stuff since I have only done one tri. I have another one coming up in June and was going to ask you what I should wear?? If I don't need a wetsuit, then what do you wear to swim and then do you just put bike shorts on over? Help help.

Christi said...

I hope you don't have a big issue with your ankle! So I am sending healing vibes your way!

I don't really know about the clothing stuff either but I do wear a tri top.

Have a great weekend!

Aimee said...

SUAR: What tri are you doing? Actually, what you'll want to do for your tri is get a pair of tri shorts. They have a super thin chamois that won't absorb all the water like regular bike shorts. It also allows you to swim, bike, and run in the same shorts.

You'll also probably want to get a tri top (but, like I said in my post, you could probably do a running top) to wear. They are designed such that you can swim in it and it dries super fast so you're not drenched on the bike/run. Tri shorts/tops make the transitions from swim to bike and from bike to run much faster because you don't have to worry about changing your clothing. I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

teacherwoman said...

Nice job with your training this week. I think the numbers look great!

I am sending positive vibes your way in regards to the ankle! :)

misszippy said...

I think any top you are comfortable in is a go. The only thing is that if you are not wearing a wetsuit, you may want to consider the drag factor of anything looser than a tri top. Glad you can make the schedule work to stay home with your little guys--I have never regretted doing it (although sometimes one does want to pull out one's hair!)

RockStarTri said...

My wife has stayed home with our kids since they were born. They are now 14 and 12. Best choice we ever made.

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

Hope the ankle pain subsides quickly. If you don't usually carry anything in the pockets of your tri top, then i'd probably just go w/a jogbra. Does soaking your wetsuit make it more pliable/easier to get on? Just wondering. I love that race t-shirt. I totally agree that we should not be given t-shirts designed for men. Have a great weekend!

Regina said...

That sucks about your ankle, I hope it isn't something serious.

I actually just ordered my first tri top, but I have worn running type wicking tops and they worked out fine for me. I HAVE to wear a sports bra underneath. Despite breast feeding, the girls as ginormous as they have ever been...sigh...

So jealous you are doing an OWS, I have an OWS race (kind of) at the end of May, so I better get my you-know-what in the OW.

I did SheRox last year when it was paired with Danskin, this year it looks separate as I am singed up for Danskin and it isn't called SheRox this year. I am with you on the shirt thing. I also wear mine man-sized ones to bed.

DRog said...

Nice training, great rant...and yes pre school is waaaaay to expensive!
-Derek

Running Diva Mom said...

Hey Aimee! You just won something on my blog! Check it out and email me your mailing address. CONGRATS! :-) jamie dot edge at charter dot net

Caratunk Girl said...

Hope the ankle pain subsides quickly.

Hey regarding the sports bra/tri top thing - I have major...bouncing issues...and Moving Comfort has some great ones to "reign the girls in" so to speak. I need to find which one, but one is made of quicker drying material and I wear it under my tri top. But I don't think a tri top is necessary really - I kind of am starting to feel like they are over priced tanks.

AM! said...

Oh, first I SOOO hear you on the women's fit for race shirts. So great that that one fits well! you look great.

and i'm in the same boat as you w/work vs. being with kids. it just made more sense all around for me to be w/the kids vs. back to work

and I just wear a tri top or a really tight swim top for my races. I'm a small chested gal, so can get away with it for the most part. But i am on the hunt still for a top.

Suzy said...

Congrats on staying home another year. It really is worth it to be home with them when they are small. Plus, like you found out, for a teacher you won't come out ahead financially.

I have no idea about tri tops. I don't even walk around my house without some sort of bra on, so I know I would never exercise without one.

Julie said...

Hi Aimee,
I agree with some of your other comments about staying home with your boys. I was not as fortunate....I went back to school and was pregnant with my little guy during my medical rotations...in order to graduate on time I had to go back to school when he was four weeks old. After graduation I had to go on for additional schooling to be specialized. I had a few months off before I found a job. I work four days a week but I wish that I was more part time. My little guy is four and I am so sad that I only have 17 more months before he starts kindergarden:( It is so true....time goes by so fast and they are only little once. Enjoy your time with them and cherish every second:) I hope that you have a fantastic weekend Aimee!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aimee,
I just started following your blog after Tanya posted it on Facebook. I've been having outside ankle pain since March 8th and the only time I felt significant improvement was when my chiropractor taped it. I was able to do and complete an oly tri without pain couple weeks ago (this is after 2 cortisone shots from a Podiatrist) It's still making its presence known though so definitely get checked out if you're not improving.

As for tri tops, I wear an Orca sports bra under my tri top (alternating TYR and Desoto tanks). The Orca sports bra is thinner than my running sports bra so it dries quickly. Running bra just didn't work for me when doing tri's.

Huichi

Barb said...

Aimee,
Hope that ankle pain goes away. When there are nagging injuries it is so hard to decide how to best take care of them. workout or not/doctor or not/etc...

So sorry that your Masters was cancelled, I think you will find after a few weeks in the water it will be so much less intimidating.

On the clothing question, I have a tri top that I love. It is supportive enough that I don't have to wear a sports bra under it. and I love that it dries so fast. It seems like a regular running top might not dry very fast and you might get chilled on the bike leg. I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with wearing a jog bra underneath if you feel like you need some extra support.

Great job workouts this week. I am also in week two of my HIM training. I find I have to get up early and get in morning workouts before work many days or they won't get done. Life just ends up getting in the way.

Barb

Kathleen said...

Hey Aimee,
How was Grant Ranch? I can't even imagine getting in the water at this point. I was so bumbed about the Grant Ranch news. It is my favorite place to swim also. I hope to get some swim time in before they close it down. Of all years...
Regarding tri tops. I like anything that has a built in bra. For me, having a seperate sports bra is just one more thing to deal with. Also, since I sweat so much, it makes cooling off or drying that much more difficult. The sports bra is always the last thing to dry and I always end up freezing at the end of the races if I stay around to long. On the positive side however, if it is really hot you can take the shirt off.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I hope you had a great anniversery!!

Wetsuit soaking, makes me all excited to OWS, I can wait, still too cold out here.

Christina said...

I wear a tri-specific sports bra under a tri top. Between the two I'm bounce-free, and I'm a small C cup. The sports bra is from 2XU- I think it's actually meant to be a wear-alone race top but I use the pockets, and I don't have the body to be competing in a sports bra. Also I've never worn a wetsuit so the tri top is convenient for taking me through all 3 legs. You could maybe get a top like that sports bra for the swim, then put on a fitted tank for the bike and run?

Chef Amber Shea said...

Ahh, I hate guys' race shirts too! If I get (what I think is) my size, it rides up on my chest and shoulders the whole run. And of course getting the alternative, one that's roomier, means the sweat-wicking goes out the window somewhat. More races around the KC area are luckily beginning to offer women's shirts. About time!