April 7, 2010

Humpastry Day - Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
I know this isn't a pastry, but I've had more Easter sweets this week than I can handle, so I thought I'd post something a little different.  Plus, my family and I love this recipe, so I wanted to share it with all of you!  This pizza dough is a cinch to make, is healthy, and is really tasty.  There is no way to mess it up and you can adjust the rise and bake time depending on how you like your crust.  You can also use this recipe to make calzones.

Ingredients:
Makes enough dough for 1 large pizza
*  1 (1/4oz.) package of active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp. if using from a jar)
*  1C warm water
*  2C whole wheat flour
*  1/4C wheat germ or ground flax (I used wheat germ)
*  1tsp. salt
*  1Tbl. honey
* cornmeal for the pizza pan/baking stone

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 480 degrees.
2.  In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water.  Let sit about 10min. until creamy.
3.  In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ, and salt.
4.  Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add honey and yeast  mixture.
5.  Mix well to combine.
6.  Cover and let sit in a warm place to rise for a few minutes.  *Note:  You can let it rise for a couple of minutes, or rise for longer depending on how thick you want your dough.  For example, if you like a thin crust pizza only let it rise a few minutes.  If you want a thick crust pizza, let it rise longer.
7.  Roll dough out on a floured surface and poke a few holes in it with a fork.  *Note: this dough is pretty sticky, so you will need to make sure you have enough flour on your hands, rolling pin, and surface to prevent sticking.
8.  Transfer dough to a pizza pan/baking stone sprinkled with cornmeal (the cornmeal prevents the dough from sticking to the pan).
9.  Bake in preheated oven for 8-10minutes.
10.  Remove from oven and lower the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
11.  Put your favorite toppings on the crust and bake for 8-10minutes or until desired crispiness/doneness is achieved.
12.  Let cool for a couple of minutes before slicing.
13.  Enjoy!
We ended up making two pizzas, one with cheese and one without.  I actually liked the one without better because I could taste all of the different veggie flavors.
Here are some toppings that we like:
* roasted red peppers
* sundried tomatoes
* garlic
* artichoke hearts
* spinach
* olives
* onion
* whatever other veggies we happen to have in the fridge!

LOST:
On another note, how cool was last night's LOST episode?  I love the whole parallel universe thing, but I have no idea how it's going to end!  I can't believe there are only 5 episodes left.  What am I going to do when it's over?  :(

15 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I had a whole wheat pizza crust not long ago, I liked it. Pizza is my weakness, I can say no to it. This one definetly going into the recipe book.

Julie said...

Looks good Aimee:) Who doesn't like a healthy pizza!! Writing this one down!

Christi said...

Looks very yummy!

teacherwoman said...

That pizza looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Gonna have to try that Aimee!

LOST was just awesome last night. My fav episode of the season so far. Finally the "flash-sideways" become relevant. Can't wait to see the Hurley episode next week!

JC said...

mmmmm that looks so yummy - I will have to try that forsure!

AM! said...

You are too good!i've made a few whole wheat pizza dough's from Trader Joes (and they're pretty good!), but i need to get a rolling pin, b/c ours looks like a lumpy square each time!

Caratunk Girl said...

This looks fabulous - you have the best recipes, it is in my recipe book for sure. I love pizza. I am totally coming to your house for dinner tonight. What are you cooking? :)

Anonymous said...

We make pizza often, but I've not done a whole wheat crust, b/c I thought it wouldn't rise. I will try this on my next attempt. I bet it was delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Sherri said...

Thanks for this recipe also. We are going to try this! We love pizza...but I don't get it much due to the white flour...so now we can have pizza again! =)

Teamarcia said...

that looks delish! Can't wait to try!

Unknown said...

So glad you posted this... I was just talking about needing to find a good pizza dough recipe! :) Thanks!

Black Knight said...

Looks very good and thanks to this post I will go to eat a pizza!

Chef Amber Shea said...

Yum! I like the inclusion of wheat germ. And I (not surprisingly) agree about cheeseless pizza, it makes the toppings so much tastier!

Anonymous said...

THis looks great! Love that you can add lots of veggies on a homemade dough. :)