April 4, 2010

The Sunday Sampler - Parenthood/Fitness


Welcome to another installment of The Sunday Sampler.  This is the day where I share my insights, thoughts, and opinions with you about different things in three categories: fitness (gear/clothing/accessories/etc.), parenthood, and health, rotating each category each week.  I hope that makes sense! :)  
My hope is that I will be able to help you along your adventure just like so many others have helped me. So, let me know what you think!  I'd love to read about your perspectives on these things as well!  :) 

Parenthood/Fitness:
BOB Sport Utility Jogging Stroller

I thought this post would work best as a combination of parenthood and fitness because when you're using this jogger the two go hand in hand.  In my first Parenthood Sunday Sampler (here) I mentioned using this jogger as a way my husband and I try to find balance.  It has definitely served us well and I honestly cannot imagine our lives without it.  

Here is what www.bobgear.com has to say about the BOB Sport Utility Stroller:
  Knobby tires, state of the art suspension, sparkling personality.  The Sport Utility Stroller is a perfect match for moms and dads who love the Great Out-There and want to share it with their kids.  Bumpy trails, curbs, cracked sidewalks, they're all tough to get along with in other strollers, but a breeze with the Sport Utility Stroller.  
Here are some specs for the Sport Utility Stroller:

  • 16" knobby tires for maximum traction
  • Easy fold-up design for stow-and-go portability
  • Adjustable suspension 
  • Padded seats that recline up to 70degrees 
  • Seats can recline independently from each other
  • Large independent canopies that are adjustable and provide shelter from sun and other elements
  • 100lb. capacity
  • 5 point padded safety harness
  • Rear wheel foot-activated parking brake as well as a hand activated front wheel brake
  • 2 interior seat pockets perfect for holding kid stuff
  • Large seat back pocket to hold anything and everything
  • Large low bay cargo basket underneath
Here are my thoughts about the jogger:
*  My husband and I did a lot of research before deciding to buy this jogger.  We wanted something we could run with, take off-road on hiking paths, go to the park with, and use as our everyday stroller.  This jogger as far exceeded our expectations!

*  It is actually easy and comfortable to run with.  Don't get me wrong, it's tough running while pushing two boys, but the jogger is designed so well that I actually don't expend a ton of energy making it go forward.

*  I LOVE that the seats move independently.  For any of you that have more than 1 child, you know how each one likes things his/her OWN way.  Sometimes my oldest wants the shade down and my youngest wants it up...no biggie!  When my youngest was younger, he would sometimes fall asleep in the stroller.  I could recline his seat to let him sleep more comfortably, while my oldest sat up and enjoyed the ride.  

*  It is very rugged and has great traction on off-road terrain.  There have been times when I was racing in a 5K with the jogger and to avoid being a "battling ram" and crashing into people in front of me, I would would have to run on the grass.  Again, no biggie! 

*  I feel like my kids are safe because of the 5 point harness.

*  The seat pockets are perfect for carrying my boys' snacks, toys, or whatever they feel like bringing.

*  The back pocket is very roomy and is great for carrying a water bottle, keys, cell phone, wallet, etc.

*  The basket underneath is awesome!  It can hold a ton and always seems to be filled with something! 

*  I love how easy it is to fold it up!  

*  One downside is the handlebar.  It would be nice if it could be adjustable for different heights.  My husband is pretty tall and it's not the most comfortable hand placement for him when he pushes it. 

*  You can buy some great accessories for it.  We got the weather shield b/c we live in Colorado and the weather can change in an instant.  Plus, we wanted to be able to use the jogger in the winter too.  Here's a shot of the jogger with the weather shield:
This was at a 5K race we did.  You can read about the race (here).  It served us very well at that race!   

Here is a picture of me jogging with my boys in a different 5K.  We have run with this in many running races.  If you are a parent you know how hard it can be to fit in workouts.  The jogger is perfect because I am able to get in a run while being with my kids at the same time.  Usually when I'm done with my run we'll end at the park so the boys can play.  They actually love to ride in the jogger and for the most part don't even fuss.  There are times, however, when I have to stop the jogger multiple times to referee a fight or argument between my boys, pick up a dropped water bottle or snack trap,or pick up a dropped toy or blanket.  But, I can deal with the infrequent stops because I'm just happy to be outside running.    

So, if you're in the market for a jogging stroller, I highly recommend looking at the BOB strollers.  Yes, they can be a little pricey.  But, sometimes you can find them used on Craigslist for a great price, and sometimes they go on sale at REI (until Mid-April you can use your 20% off member coupon) or Amazon.com.  Either way, you'll know that you are buying a great product that will last through the years.  And, once your kiddos have outgrown it, there is always someone else looking for one who will be willing to buy yours.  :)
  
* Please note that these are my own thoughts.  I am not endorsed by BOB nor was I paid to provide this review. 

4 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I love my BOB strollers. Yes, I have the single and the double. But we went with the revolution. I like being able to have the wheel swivel. Best baby/kid purchase we made!

Suzy said...

Our BOB strollers are awesome! We sold our single (a very sad day because I loved it so) and we are still going strong with the duallie! They really are the best joggers.

AM! said...

Now that is one comprehensive review. wow! I have the stroller and didn't even know it had a few of those features.
and yes, I love our BOB. ANd when we were debating which to get back in the day (4 yrs ago), we first bought the one with/out the rotating front swivel wheel b/c we loved the hand brake and bigger front wheel. But then we broke down and bought the front swivel option BOB stroller too (i know, CRAZY, but i chalked it up to 'i'll be usin' these strollers a lot', and equally loved it for it's better 'moveability'around the park, neighborhood etc, but i REALLY missed the handbrake A LOT! it only has a cumbersome foot brake
So they're both great strollers.
and you look too cute w/your boyz and the stroller

Sherri said...

That was a great review!!!
I love the picture of you and the kids...it's awesome!
My only problem is that I need a triple now! =)