February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day 5K - Race Report

Valentine's Day 5k 

Yesterday we got up around 6:45 with about 2 inches of snow on the ground, cloudy skies, and light snow still falling.  The race wasn't scheduled to start until 10AM.  So, because we were going to be running with our boys in the jogger we decided to wait and decide if we were going until closer to race time.  Slowly, but surely, the snow stopped falling and the sun started peaking out from the clouds, but it was COLD!  We decided to go to the race and just make the best of it!

Because we knew our boys would get cold sitting in the jogger, we gathered all sorts of things to ensure they would be warm and cozy.  We made a big thermos of hot chocolate for them to have once the race started.  We boiled some water and put it in two water bottles that we put on the side pouches next to them to act as heaters (this worked great by the way!).  We dressed them in thermal underwear, wool socks, snow bibs, snow jackets, gloves, and warm hats.  We also brought a big fleece blanket to drape over them in the stroller.  Last, but  not least, was the weather shield that goes over the stroller.  It is awesome because it protects them from the wind, snow, or rain.  Here is a picture of our boys in the jogger at the start of the race.
   So, you can't really see our boys, but you can see the blanket and the awesome weather shield!

The picture was taken on a sidewalk, so you can see how much snow there was. Just walking to the starting line my feet were already cold even though I had on my awesome Smartwool socks.  *Note: I guess regular running shoes are not meant to be worn in snow and slush.  The mesh at the top of the shoe that works so well at keeping your feet ventilated when they're hot completely backfires when there is wetness!  Luckily, the course wasn't this bad.  They attempted to plow the snow, but there was lots of slush and ice.  

We picked up our timing chips, attached our bibs, and waited at the back of the starting line.  With a double jogging stroller, we always try to stay towards the back.  I really had to use the bathroom, so I told my husband to just start when the gun went off and I would catch up to him.  There was a long line of people waiting and I soon realized why.  There were only 4 porta-potties!  Can you believe it?  Why can't race officials figure out that there needs to be more facilities for people!!

Anyways, as I was waiting in line the gun went off and everyone started running.  I watched as my husband took off.  Finally I was able to do my business and get on my way.  I didn't bring my Garmin with  me because we had timing chips and we were running with the stroller.  Plus, after running 7.9miles yesterday I just wanted a nice, easy run.  I did however start my Timex watch, just so I would know my time at the finish because I started late.  I'm so glad I did this by the way because I realized there was no starting line timing mat.  So, your recorded time is based on when the gun goes off, not when you actually cross the start line.  What's up with that??  What is even the point of having timing chips?  This was really my only gripe about the race.      

Shortly after I started I caught up to my husband.  He told me he had to use the bathroom (too much coffee!), so I took the jogger and kept running.  Unlike a lot of people I've met, I actually enjoy running with the jogger.  But, now that my boys are 2 1/2 and 4 1/2, I was pushing a lot of weight!!!  Luckily, the course is pretty flat and I felt great running!  I don't know what comes over me in a race, but I actually get pretty competitive.  It's hard for me to run nice and easy when I see all of these people in front of me.  When I run with my husband we run at a slower pace, but when it's just me I tend to push it.  Suddenly, I was passing people while pushing the jogger and it felt awesome!  A couple people made comments like, "good job momma" and "watch out, double load coming through," and I would smile, say thanks, and keep going. 

Around the 1 1/2 mile mark there is a hill on the course.  I was not looking forward to it, and my husband still hadn't caught up to us, so I knew I would have to push through it.  It was tough, but I did it!  Afterwards I was sucking wind, but the course turned flat again so I was able to regain control of my breath.  

Around the 2 1/2 mile mark my boys started dropping stuff out of the jogger.  I didn't notice, of course, but the people behind me kept yelling, "I think you dropped this" at which point I would stop, turn around, say a big "thank you," and grab whatever item had fallen.  All in all, my boys dropped a water bottle, one glove, and a snack trap.  At the last pick-up my husband finally caught up to us and took over pushing the jogger.  He was a little tired from having to run hard to catch up with us (oops..sorry!) that once he took the jogger, he slowed down.  He made a comment like, "Geez, you were flying!"  to which I responded, "Well, let's keep flying because we're almost done!"  I was partly kidding, but I wish I hadn't said that because he took off!  It took all I had to keep up with him.  My shins were burning and my legs were more tired then I realized from my long run yesterday.  We hit the 3 mile mark, turned, and sprinted to the finish line!  It was a great finish!  The clock said 30:03,  but according to my watch I did it in 28minutes!  Not too bad for running with a jogger and making a few unscheduled stops!  

We pulled off to the side, let the boys play in the snow, and took turns going around getting our goody bags and filling them with vendor stuff.  It was a small race, but we got some great things in the goody bag.  Here's a picture of some of the stuff.  I love sport beans, so I'm excited to try these new ones out.  Also, how cool is the hand sanitizer spray?  That will definitely come in handy!  

All in all, we had a good race!  It felt great to get outside and exercise on a day that we probably would have just stayed inside and vegged by the fire.  Our boys had a blast and stayed nice and warm the entire time!  
            Post-race picture of me and my boys


Julie said...

Hi Aimee,
Way to go!! Your time rocked for pushing a stroller with two little boys in it!! Simply Amazing:) Love the t-shirt!! The picture at the end is priceless!! Thanks for sharing Aimee!!

Tricia said...

great job!

Anne Marie said...

Nice 5k!...dang and w/pit stops and a weighted stroller!!
and I hear you on sorta liking to run w/the stroller. But I haven't done it now forever!
My DH and I did our 5k too...but we left the kidlets at home for the morning with their grandma;-)

Tracey Kite said...

Great job, Your time Rocked and you pushed a double most of it, Way to go mama!

trifitmom said...

you are hardcore !!! way to go

ShutUpandRun said...

Man and I here I was complaining about running in the snow - and you go and run a race with a jogger! Good for you for getting out there. Imprsesive.

Velma said...

Way to get out there - the picture of the closed stroller is hillarious!

Julie said...

Hi Aimee,
I just tagged you....go to my blog and check out what you won:)