Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Makes enough dough for 1 large pizza
* 1C warm water
* 2C whole wheat flour
* 1/4C wheat germ or ground flax (I used wheat germ)
* 1tsp. salt
* 1Tbl. honey
* cornmeal for the pizza pan/baking stone
1. Preheat oven to 480 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. Let sit about 10min. until creamy.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ, and salt.
4. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add honey and yeast mixture.
5. Mix well to combine.
6. Cover and let sit in a warm place to rise for a few minutes. *Note: You can let it rise for a couple of minutes, or rise for longer depending on how thick you want your dough. For example, if you like a thin crust pizza only let it rise a few minutes. If you want a thick crust pizza, let it rise longer.
7. Roll dough out on a floured surface and poke a few holes in it with a fork. *Note: this dough is pretty sticky, so you will need to make sure you have enough flour on your hands, rolling pin, and surface to prevent sticking.
8. Transfer dough to a pizza pan/baking stone sprinkled with cornmeal (the cornmeal prevents the dough from sticking to the pan).
9. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10minutes.
10. Remove from oven and lower the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
11. Put your favorite toppings on the crust and bake for 8-10minutes or until desired crispiness/doneness is achieved.
12. Let cool for a couple of minutes before slicing.
Here are some toppings that we like:
* roasted red peppers
* sundried tomatoes
* artichoke hearts
* whatever other veggies we happen to have in the fridge!
On another note, how cool was last night's LOST episode? I love the whole parallel universe thing, but I have no idea how it's going to end! I can't believe there are only 5 episodes left. What am I going to do when it's over? :(