Strawberry Coffee Cake
So, once again I had some strawberries I needed to use up before they went completely bad. I didn't want to make a dessert and nothing really sounded good to me until I came across a coffee cake recipe. The ingredients weren't the healthiest, so I decided to modify them and give it a try. It actually turned out super yummy! The cake part is really moist and the topping gives a nice crunch to it. I had gotten a cantaloupe at a Farmer's market that I wanted to eat, so I thought it would be perfect served alongside a piece of this coffee cake for breakfast, or snack, or anytime for that matter! :) I also think this would be good with blueberries or peaches! I may have to try that the next time around! Oh, and another thing I like about this recipe is that it is super easy to make and I had all of the ingredients in my cabinet already. Yay!
Makes 9 pieces
* 1/4C raw sugar
* 2tsp. baking powder
* 2Tbl. applesauce
* 1/2tsp. salt
* 1 flax egg (1Tbl. ground flax mixed with 3Tbl. water. Let sit for a couple of minutes until it thickens)
* 1/2C Soymilk
* 1 1/2C-2C sliced strawberries (you could use more too if you like)
* 1/2C flour (Again, I did 1/4C white and 1/4C whole wheat flour)
* 1/4C oats
* 1/2C sugar (I used 1/4C raw and 1/4C brown sugar) (After making it, this amount could probably be decreased to 1/4 or 1/3C)
* 3Tbl. cold butter
* 1/4C chopped pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a 8x8" square pan.
2. Make the topping: Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl. Grate the butter into the bowl and mix until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the pecans. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. In another bowl, beat the milk, applesauce, and flax egg.
5. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just moistened.
6. Pour the batter into the 8x8 pan.
7. Layer the strawberries on top of the batter.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10. Let cool and cut into 9 squares.