November 7, 2011

It's Taper Time!!

source
I have officially started tapering for IMAZ which is only 13 DAYS AWAY!!!!  OH MY GOD!!! Seriously, didn't I just register for this race??  Ha ha!

source

Last weekend I had my longest ride and long run consisting of a 6hr ride and a 20M run.  I have to tell you that I was NOT looking forward to doing it, but I got it done!  In fact, my run was one of the best runs I've had throughout my entire training.  I felt awesome and finished knowing that I could have definitely ran 6.2 miles more!  I know at IMAZ my marathon will be following a 2.4M swim and 112M bike, but I'm feeling ready...I really am, and it's an amazing, awesome feeling!

Taper crazies??  Not me!
I know a lot of people tend to go a little crazy during taper week, but I have to tell you that I am actually really enjoying it.  Training for an IM is HARD!  It's hard on your body, hard on your mind, and hard on your family.  I haven't had a full weekend day with my husband and boys in a LONG time and I'm ready to have that time back.  I am tired of the long workouts and am just DONE at this point.

Plus, the weather is starting to get really sketchy here with COLD temps (30-40 degrees) and snow so it is making it harder to do workouts outside.  I did a 4hr. trainer ride on Saturday and it sucked.  The only thing that made it doable was the fact that I watched the 2010 Ironman World Championship that I recorded last year.  I can't wait for NBCs broadcast of this years race!!

I have a 2hr. run to do today, then it's all swim/bike/runs 1hr. or less from this point on.  I am soooo looking forward to NOT having to go long anymore.

Well, not until race day! :)


source

What I AM stressed about though is getting everything packed and ready for our trip.  We leave THIS FRIDAY night for a long road trip to AZ.  We are driving the 12hr. trip in 2 days with our boys, and it should be very interesting!

I'm glad I'll have a week before the race to ride and run some of the bike/run course because it's always better when you know what to expect.  But, I'm just starting to get a little freaked out that my race is 13 DAYS AWAY!!!  I keep having these little panic thoughts where I just let out a long sigh.  At first, my husband would ask me what was wrong, but now he's so used to them he just ignores me. Ha ha!

All in all though, I am ready.  I'm nervous, anxious, but mostly just really, really excited!  IMAZ here I come!!

28 comments:

Christi said...

Aimee, you are going to do great! You have been in the time and will reap the rewards. I for one know you will do great and I look forward to following you on race day!

Tricia said...

SUPER excited for you!

Molly said...

Oh boy!!!! I drove down last Friday and i was freaking out about packing too - in the end though it was just a matter of throwing everything I ever use for those long workout days into a bag and figuring I'll sort it out next week :) There are plenty of good tri shops down here too if you forget anything. Have a safe trip down!!!

Michelle Simmons said...

Make a list! I LOVE making the ironman packing list... then packing is easy b/c you just cross things off your list as you pack them. :) Have fun!

Alisa said...

OMG SOOOOOOOO exciting! You're going to do great. I was wondering how it was going with the snow and everything.

I heard that IMFL 2012 sold out in like 16 minutes. That's scary to me since I'm thinking about IMAZ 2013...just the registration process sounds intense.

I'm hoping when all is said and done and you have time to post again you'll go through pro's and con's and stuff. I'm super curious how you managed it all with a family and moving into a new house. I'm just curious how people survive the training =).

13 days! So close.

DRog said...

great training!
solid indoor trainer session
you have been on it
D

Kathy said...

ACK!!! 21 days for me (or something like that). I have one more long day but did my 6.5 hr bike + 2 hr run Saturday and that will be my longest brick.

I'm so glad I only have 10km or so to my event and can come home if/when I forget something. :)

Have a great road time and enjoy your IM!

Beth said...

I am so excited for you, you have done all the work now you just get to enjoy the reward of race day! I can’t wait to hear all about how taper goes and all the race prep.

CautiouslyAudacious said...

I agree with you I love taper time! I do get a little antsy with anticipation but I usually am ready for the rest. What bib number are you? Maybe I will see you there!

Julie said...

Doing a little happy/excited dance as I can't wait to track you and Kathleen! :) I'm so excited for you and know that you are going to kill it!

You are a rockstar my friend!

Have a safe trip and I bet the boys do great!

A Prelude To... said...

I can't believe it's already taper time!! You are SO prepared, I have no doubts this will be a GREAT race for you!

Regina said...

Wow! Here you are. You sound ready to go and I have no doubt you will do really well. Can't wait to hear how it goes!! Good luck (not that you need it) ;)

Jennifer Harrison said...

WOOT! Good luck ! I am racing Arizona too - safe travels down there and you will do great, I'm sure!!! Enjoy your taper!

J. L. said...

Great job on your training! So excited for you!!

TriMOEngr said...

Looking forward to stalking you on IronmanLive. Make sure you post your bib number! Best wishes (especially on the car ride - yikes)!

Jill said...

I can't believe it's taper time either, that is just crazy how fast it went. I am very impressed with your training and know this is going to be a fantastic race for you!! YAY!

justme said...

good luck so excitimg

Unknown said...

I am with ya - enjoy that taper!

Very cool you are heading out early, being familiar with the course will help with the nerves.

Jason said...

We have exchanged emails but I'm more confident now in your abilities having read this as I was during that email exchange.

You wil be great on this course.

Now b/c the sessions are only 1 hour or less does not mean you lolly-gag through them. Keep going at them and making them count.

mtanner said...

I'll be there too! I am working registration too Thurs 1-4! Best of luck to you :)You will do GREAT!

Unknown said...

Yoga breaths!! You are going to shake these nerves at the start lady! You have put all the training and effort in. Just another swim, bike run in one day!!

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed with you fitting in all this training while you have a family! Relax and rest in your taper, you deserve it!

Ironman By Thirty said...

You are going to do great! Enjoy your taper!

Kevin @ HalfTRIing said...

Good luck. I've never been good at tapering. I know people who go into crazy mode when tapering.

Kevin
HalfTRIing.blogspot.com

Kevin @ HalfTRIing said...

.

Teamarcia said...

OMG I am PSYCHED for you! Wow wow wow! Time flies and IMAZ is just about here. Can only imagine what all of your training has been like. Thrilled to hear your last 20 was awesome. You are ready girl! Go get it!
Now I need to pay your humpastry day a little visit! Yum!

Colorado Gal said...

I am so excited to hear how it goes!!

Alyssa said...

After all your training, you deserve to revel in your taper! Good luck! Sounds like your training has really prepared you.