November 15, 2011

An impromptu OWS!

First let me just say that WE MADE IT TO ARIZONA!!!  Woohoo!  The trip actually went really well and our boys did so much better than we could have imagined! :)

So, Sunday morning I was looking up some information about places to do some open water swimming and just happened to see an advertisement for an OWS race in Tempe Town Lake, where the IMAZ swim will be.  It turns out that DCB adventures, which hosts a lot of open water swim races throughout AZ was doing a make-up race!!!   I got so excited and contacted the race organizers right away to see if I could do it last minute and they said, "Come on down!"  Woohoo!



I thought this was an opportunity I just couldn't pass up because 1) I'd get to swim part of the IMAZ course 2) I'd get to test out the water temp. and see if I needed to purchase a neoprene cap/booties and 3) I'd get to practice swimming in my wetsuit again, which I haven't been able to swim in since Sept. b/c all the open water swim places close in CO b/c the water just gets too cold.

I got all of my stuff together, packed up some shovels for the boys to play with in the sand, and headed towards Tempe Town Lake.   My husband got the boys set up in the sand while I registered.  It was a little pricey ($50 for the race and $15 for a 1day US master's pass), but in my mind it was well worth the money!

I was # 173

The race had a 4000m, 2000m, and 1000m swim.  I would have liked to have done the 4000m, but it started earlier in the morning and I couldn't make it to the lake on time.  So, I opted to do the 2000m swim.  Before I knew it, it was time to get in the water.  The announcer said the temp. was around 62 degrees!  Brrr!!!  I stepped in and it was pretty cold at first.  I didn't want to put my face in the water, but knew I needed to before the race started.  So, I just went for it!  It was a shock at first, but it actually wasn't that bad.  In my mind I thought it was going to be soooo much colder than it was, and I was so relieved that is wasn't.

There were about 15-20 people doing the 2000m race and we all made out way out to the bouys.  The announcer counted down from 5, then we were off!  Everyone pretty much took off in front of me, but I eased myself into the swim.  One thing I DID NOT want to do was go out too hard because this was not a "race" to me, but just a practice swim.  It felt weird swimming in my wetsuit, and again I was thankful to have this opportunity.

Overall, the swim went pretty well!  I didn't really feel that cold during the swim, but my little toes did start to go a little numb towards the end.  Since I'll be doing 2X this distance on Sunday, hopefully my toes won't go completely numb, but I don't think they will (fingers crossed!). :)

Happy to be done!  That's the Mill Ave. bridge behind me where I'll be swimming under on Sunday! 


Oh, and look at the cool stuff I got!  I was just happy being able to swim at TTL, but getting cool swag is always fun! :)

*  A great bag
*  A new water bottle
*  An awesome pint glass that we got when we finished!

19 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Impromptu races are the best ones, especially all that this can help next week!!

Congrats on the race

The swag is freaking sweet

I am surprised TTL is that cold in blazing hot AZ

Unknown said...

Yay for the OWS experience!

I live somewhere where most of the OWS water is cold, and you get used to it. I just have to get my face in before the race starts so that I don't have the "Holy Sh--! This is freezing!" moment during the race itself.

Molly said...

I'm glad you made it in for that race! I did the one on Saturday but we swam on the other side of the lake. It would have been nice to do one on our course :) Hope you are settling in OK. Thank goodness it is warming up a bit this week.

Unknown said...

Awesome Swag!! Glad you made it! You will be ok with the water temp! I might think of swim booties if it were me! ha ha! Good luck this weekend! My friend is doing this race too!

Christi said...

That is awesome that you had an opportunity to swim part of the course. Valuable experienc

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

What an awesome and very timely opportunity for you. Glad you were able to take advantage of that OWS! I'm getting ready to stalk you my friend! The swim will be a piece of cake.

Dawn said...

I did the same thing before my Oly in August....except mine was a aquathlon. But there is nothing better than swimming the course you're headed towards in a few days time.
Cheering you on! (I wonder if we passed each other on the road somewhere...I just LEFT Arizona:)

CautiouslyAudacious said...

That is great that you were able to do that. That will take a lot of the anxiety away, good job! That was same temp it was when I did it and my feet and toes did go numb but luckily you have help getting out of the water so you will warm up on the first loop of the bike.

Jill said...

You made it safe and sound - yay!! And what a great way to get the swimming juices flowing with the race!! Excellent. Hoping the toes stay numb-free for the IM! Sooooo excited for you!

Teamarcia said...

I'm so glad the first (travel) leg of your journey went well! Yay for the impromptu OWS. I am so psyched for you!

Jason said...

Well first off congrats on getting there. Quite an accomplishment in and of itself.

Now, the impromptu OWS is just ICING ON THE CAKE...Humpastry Joke there!

Congrats on the swim and the ability to build confidence just days before the race.

Unknown said...

And based on your header I thought you gave up this IM stuff and were joining the Occupy Wall Street group!

Caratunk Girl said...

That sounds like FUN!!

DRog said...

awesome sounding swim....and sounds like you are ready to roll :)

D

Ironman By Thirty said...

Congrats on the swim! What a great way to warm up for Sunday.

Unknown said...

Nice find on that race! I bet it felt good to get a feel for the water!

I'm so excited for you this weekend Aimee! Enjoy every minute of it and know that I'm cheering you on from Ohio!!! Eeeekkkk - so exciting!

Sage said...

Jeff said "and were joining the Occupy Wall Street group". Yes, I guess OWS has taken on a new meaning lately.

Good luck on the big race!

Patty said...

Congrats on the race! GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!! ROCK IT!

A Prelude To... said...

That's so fantastic that you got to do one more OWS before race day! It looks beautiful there.
Wishing you ALL the best for race day!