August 14, 2011

An all too familiar pain!


Right now I'm sitting here completely annoyed, frustrated, upset, sad, and just angry.  But the day didn't start out that way.  I was happy and excited about going out for my long run today because the weather was beautiful and I had decided to revisit my old favorite running trail, the Highline Canal.

I headed out for my run and there were so many people out on the trail running, walking, riding their bikes, and it was just nice to be out and about.  I had to do a 1:20 run, so I decided to do an out and back.  I felt great all the way out, but once I turned around at the 40min. mark, I started to feel a little twinge in my right knee.
Source
Immediately I got paranoid because that is the knee that I had that horrible IT band injury that sidelined me for months!  I decided to slow it down a little and just try not to think about it.  But, unfortunately, the pain started getting worse.  At the 50min. mark, I decided to stop running.  Memories of not being able to run flooded into my mind and I knew that if I kept running I could be right back there.  Stopping, instead of finishing my run, just seemed like the best thing to do.

 I walked the rest of the way to my car almost on the verge of tears.  With only 3 months left until IMAZ this is just NOT something that I need nor want to be dealing with.  I thought I was done with this stupid injury and I don't understand what caused it.  But, I am thinking that it might have been the trail I was running on.  I have not run on that trail since I had my injury this spring.  It is a packed dirt trail that is pretty uneven.  So, maybe running on an uneven surface was the culprit???

All I know is that I really, really do not want to go down the path of PT appointments and not being able to run.  It sucked!  I'm not scheduled to run again until Tuesday, so hopefully my IT band will get its act together and be right again!  If you can, please send positive healing vibes my way!  I can use all I can get! :)

22 comments:

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Oh, Aimee, so frustrating! ITB can be a bitch! I had ITB issues in 2009 after my fall marathon. For me, running slow was more painful than running fast. I never had to stop running, but decreased mileage, streched the ITB a lot (with bands) and did strength exercises. Good luck!

justme said...

i am so sorry....sending prayers and good wishes

Julie said...

Sending you all the healing good vibes I can and keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't turn out to be anything Aimee.

Only 3 months!!! you know it seems like just yesterday that it was 90 days until the 70.3...it goes by in the blink of an eye!

Pahla said...

Of course it was the trail, I'm not entertaining any other thoughts on the matter. You are totally fine! No pain, no injury, all good!
(But here's some unsolicited advice, just in case: work on your core, specifically, your glutes. Glutes do all the work, but don't get developed enough. Fingers crossed for you!!!)

Jon said...

Break out that foam roller!

Unknown said...

Ugh...try to stay positive about this. Worrying will definitely not help. Oh...and get yourself to a good sports chiro...well worth it!!

Michelle Simmons said...

ARGH! GRRRR. That sucks! But it was very smart of you to not try to run through it today. Nip these things in the bid early and then you don't end up with months of rehab! Agree about the core work- don't skimp there- and of course the foam roller as you know! Hope it's not serious!

Unknown said...

Oh no! Stay calm. Ice. Stretch. Roll. And I'll keep my fingers crossed that it was just a fluke thing with the trail!

goSonja said...

Go see Josh at Tri-Massage in boulder stat. If you need info you can email me. Sonjawieck AT mac DOT com

He's not PT, he's magic. Kinda my secret weapon (says the girl who did a 100 miler and 3 IMs in a year)

You have to get on these things right away. If it goes away, good, but best to not wIt around for that.

:)

Anonymous said...

Sending you ALL THE POSITIVE I have!!!!!!

Christi said...

I am absolutely sending you positive vibes!

ShutUpandRun said...

I know this injury-fear thing too well, it is with me all of the time!! All I can say is, just back off. Take a few days from running. It will probably pass. If not, get it checked out, but it is probably just a symptom of increased mileage and activity. Glad you stopped and hoping, fingers crossed, it doesn't continue.

Unknown said...

Vibes being sent! Foam roll that sucker and stay off the trails too!

joyRuN said...

This knee thing is completely new for me, but just as I seem to make headway, the pain sneaks back.

:(

I'm sorry it's come back for you - hopefully pulling back quickly & roll/stretch/ice will calm it down.

Jason said...

Good vibes from Texas.

I would stay off the trail and it's interesting that you point this out but I recently read that running on hard concrete and asphalt might be better for you because it is even unlike trail and grass running.

I will try to find it for you and email you.

Teamarcia said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to read this. ITBS is so insidious. The uneven surface didn't help. Lay off for a bit. Praying it'll behave so youll be perfect for IMAZ.

Caratunk Girl said...

Oh NO!! That sucks Aimee!! I am so sorry to hear that. But I would go with Sonja's magic man if you can.

Good luck, I will be thinking of you and hoping this gets better soon!

Beth said...

OH NO! I hope it's nothing. I am going through the same thing with my knee and I am in serious denial still.

Molly said...

Oh nooo! I've been there and it's no fun. Go to the guy the lady says is magic - those kinda people are priceless! I"m seeing my ART guy Wednesday because he fixes me up like nobody else!

JC said...

positive vibes coming your way lady. You've got lots of time - your body will remember when you are healthy and you will be ready when the time comes. Give yourself the rest you need. water run, walk rest, rest, ice, rest. Thinking of you tons!

Pia [Kaukomara] said...

Good vibes from Finland, too!

Regina said...

Yikes, stay positive. Go to your barefoot running. It's what has saved me from my ITB pain. Good luck!