August 11, 2010

Humpastry Day - Cran-Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

Cran-Raisin Oatmeal Cookies:
I feel like it's been awhile since I've posted a Humpastry day treat.  So, I decided to try a new recipe and bake some cookies!  I asked my boys if they wanted raisins or cranberries in them and my oldest said, "Why don't we use both?"  So, that's just what I did and I have to say that they turned out super yummy!  Oh, and the batter is absolutely delicious!  Because the recipe doesn't use eggs, you can eat it raw without worrying about getting sick.  Although, I suppose you could get sick from eating too much batter...ha ha!  Seriously though, the batter is GOOD!
Also, if you're doing the Gluten thing, these would be great treats for you because they use oats and oat flour (just look for the gluten free symbol on the oats if you're worried about cross contamination from the factory) instead of all-purpose or whole wheat! Yay!
The only negative thing about these cookies is that you have to chill the batter for at least 2hours...boo!  I think the cookies are worth it though!  I hope you do too!  :)

Ingredients:
Makes 24 cookies
*  2Tbl. ground flaxseed
*  3Tbl. water
*  1C oat flour   *Note: if you don't have oat flour, just blend up some old-fashioned oats until you have the consistency of flour.  I think I used about 1 1/2C oats to make the 1C oat flour.
*  1tsp. baking powder
*  1/2tsp. baking soda
*  1/2tsp. salt
*  1/2tsp. cinnamon
*  2Tbl. coconut oil   *You could also use vegan margarine or butter
*  1/2C brown sugar
*  1/4C raw sugar
*  1/4C applesauce
*  1tsp. vanilla extract
*  1 1/2C old-fashioned oats
*  1/2C raisins, cranberries, or a mix of the two

Directions:
1.  Mix the flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside.
2.  In a small bowl, stir together the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
3.  Beat the coconut oil, brown sugar, and raw sugar in a mixer for 1-2 min, or until light and fluffy.
4.  Add the applesauce, vanilla, and flax mixture to the bowl and beat until smooth.
5.  Add the oat flour mixture and stir until just combined.
6.  Add the oats and dried fruit and stir to combine.
7.  Cover and put in the refrigerator for 2 hours or longer.
8.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
9.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
10.  Scoop the dough into golf ball size balls (a little bigger than a Tbl. amount) and put them on the prepared cookie sheet.
11.  Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a glass dipped in water.
12.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are just beginning to brown.
13.  Remove from oven, let cool for a minute on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
14.  Enjoy!

11 comments:

DRog said...

So glad I didnt see these while working today, I would have had to leave for cookies! Some of our Wed. morning OWS group did Boulder 70.3! 3 of them did it...they had GREAT things to say about the course.
-Derek

Anonymous said...

These look really yummy! I'm going to pass this along to my sister-in-law, whose kids have a variety of allergies, including eggs. Think this would be perfect for her household!

AM! said...

dang! look at you. these look fabu! And i agree that both are the best!

Ironman By Thirty said...

I love a good batter! Eggs be damned, I'll eat any batter :) Hasn't killed me yet. Although my wife my kick my butt for doing so! haha

The cookies look delicious too! :)

Jill said...

Yummmmmmmmy!!!!

Jon said...

YUM!!!!

Melissa said...

These look really good!! I'm going to have to try these!
Are these gluten free?

Regina said...

This is my favorite day!!!! Humpastry day! I was asking my mom if she still had rhubarb growing on the side of the house...sadly she uprooted it and gave it to the neighbor. I was going to do your rhubarb bread. Plenty of other stuff here though and these look like a nice thing to make this weekend.

Emz said...

Aimee
Aimee
Aimee
you so have me hooked on your recipes - thank goodness they are healthy.

You're awesome!

Runners Fuel said...

The cookies lood so good!

Aimee said...

Melissa: Like I mentioned in my post, they are Gluten free b/c they use oat flour. However, some oats are made in factories with wheat, so there is a potential for cross contamination. Depending on the gluten allergy, you can use regular oats or look for ones specifically with a gluten free symbol on them. I hope that helps! :)