August 25, 2010

A great day!

Why has it been a great day you might ask?  Well, let me tell you!

*  So, both of my boys are now officially in school, and I am finding myself left with time to do things I've never been able to do.  Now, I love my boys, but they make ordinary errands 100x more difficult.  I went to the grocery store this morning, all by myself, and it was so peaceful.  How many of you have ever considered grocery shopping peaceful?  Without my boys there was no whining, fighting, begging, or any drama in general.  It was just me walking around leisurely putting the groceries in my cart.  Usually I have my list all planned out and it's a mad dash through the store to make it out without the boys having some sort of meltdown.  Not today.  And it was sooooo nice.

*  Then, I decided to go for a bike ride.  What??  A bike ride in the middle of the morning in the middle of the week?  That's crazy talk!  Ha ha.  It was one of the best bike rides ever!  It's been awhile since I've been able to just go out for a ride without any training agenda in mind.  Yes, I know I'm doing a sprint tri on Saturday, but really my tri training is over.  It was beautiful out, there wasn't a lot of traffic, and I just rode and rode.  I ended up riding for about an hour, then headed home.
Seriously, can my helmet look any bigger on my head?  I have such a small head that I just look ridiculous in a helmet.  And, that is one reason why I will never have an aero helmet! 

*  When I got home there was a call from Runners Roost saying they got my shoes in!  Yay, a new pair of shoes!  I love my Brooks racers!  And, I got them for 20% off...woohoo!

*  On my way home from the store, my husband called to ask if I wanted to meet him for lunch.  What?  You mean I will actually be able to eat lunch with my husband without our boys?  Like a lunch date?  I cannot even remember the last time we've had lunch alone together.  It was awesome!

*  But, while all of that was nice, the real reason it was a great day was being able to play with my boys after school and talk to them all about their day.  I love them so much and cannot believe they are both in school now.  It blows my mind how fast they have grown up.







Yeah...we're all about crazy superhero costumes in our house! :)











Yes, he IS wearing one of my old race swim caps on his head.  What else are they good for? :)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, that DOES sound like a great day for you! That's a big milestone, having both kids in school. Clearly you're making the most of it! :D

Barbie said...

I remember the first day my youngest went to school and that meant the house was all mine. When I got back home I stood in the dining room and just listened to the silence - it was deafening.

Unknown said...

Love the Shoes!!! Nice day!! Sit back and enjoy it!!

Ginny M said...

Enjoy your newfound free time... and enjoy those boys when they come back from school each day :)

misszippy said...

Love those shoes! I will be joining you next week when both of mine go back. I am very excited to experience this freedom you talk about!

Patrick Mahoney said...

T minus 13 days until my son is in Kindergarten

Andrew Opala said...

cute kids, does your husband where your clothes too? LOL

Kids go back after labor day here ... so lot's of people are still cottaging / camping / vacationing ... joy starts in two weeks!

Emz said...

I like YOUR super hero costume BEST!!

You rock. YAY for mid-day bike rides!!

track coach and adorable wife said...

Wow, you make me jealous for when my kids will all be in school, but since we aren't even done having kids, I imagine that is a ways off! Enjoy!

And really who looks GOOD in a helmet?

KovasP said...

Oh yes, absence makes the heart grow fonder. There's just so much summer a parent can take. Of course, the second they are gone, you start missing them. Way to fill up your day!

Alisa said...

I have a small head too and I always feel ridiculous in my helmet!

I wish I could do midday rides...dumb job gets in the way.

Julie said...

Yep all adds up to a perfect day! Enjoy more to come!

Sage said...

Sawwweeet lookin shoes!

Lindsey said...

that helmet really does look big on your little head! It sounds like you had a great day!! 2 of my 3 go back to school in a couple weeks, and I'm looking forward to being home with just 1.

DRog said...

Your kids are in school already?!? We have 3 weeks to go! the gap between summer schedules / programs and the start of school is a difficult month filling the gap with routine. Enjoy!
-Derek

Jill said...

I remember those days of kids whining and begging at the grocery store....now I can't even bribe mine to go with me - they DO get to a stage where it's not enjoyable I guess. Glad you had an awesome day and enjoy the time to get things done. And also good luck in the tri this weekend!!!

Unknown said...

Lucky you with that extra time. Keep enjoying it!

Caratunk Girl said...

Yeah for a great day!!

Jon said...

Glad you had a great day! Nice shoes!

Ironman By Thirty said...

The superhero costume is AWESOME! He just needs a name now...

Glad you had a great day!

Christi said...

You are right you had a great day! Congrats to you! FYI, your new shoes look real fast!

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha I love those kid photos!

And ps- I always think my head looks huge in a helmet too!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Imagine having a big head like me, and have to look super dorky in a helmet, though I want an aero helmet

WE HAVE THE SAME SHOES!!!!

Anonymous said...

Those are some flashy and fast-looking shoes! :)

I actually enjoy grocery shopping alone, but it doesn't happen that often for me, either. Not sure what it is about the grocery store that turns my kids crazy? Oh wait, they're always kind of crazy. Never mind.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!! And, to think, it's only the beginning of the school year! :-) Enjoy it!

Regina said...

OH, I have until September 8 before my son goes back to school, full time this year!!!! Woot! I love him, but, well, you get it.

Would love to know how you like your Brooks. Are they the T6 racers? I've using the Launch which I love.

I also look like a mushroom in a bike helmet. My newest one, the Bell Array, does not make me look like a mushroom. Something to consider. ha!