June 2, 2011

OH NOOOOO!


I am so bummed right now.  I was cleaning up my tri bike last night when I noticed that the right bar extension on my aerobars was wiggling side to side.  I just figured it was loose and needed to be tightened.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.


Do you see how the bar extension has separated along some sort of seam??
Here is a close up view:
It is completely loose and basically broken!!!  Because they are the Vision aerobars from Full Speed Ahead, I contacted their warranty department to see what, if anything, they could do about it.  LUCKILY, I am within the 2yr. warranty period!  PHEW!  But, I have to take the aerobars completely apart and send in both bar extensions.  Ugh!  I'm going to go to the TriBella store today and see if they can do it for me b/c I have no idea how to get the shifters off of the bar extensions, let alone take off everything else.
FSA said it normally has a 24-48hr. processing time once they receive the part.  But, if you take the number of days it will take to ship it to them, the number of days for them to process it, and the number of days to get me a new set (hopefully!), I'm looking at well over a week without being able to ride my tri bike!!


AND, here's the kicker: I have a race THIS WEEKEND!  I am doing the Boulder Sunrise Duathlon and was really looking forward to it because the bike course is a really fun course to ride on a tri bike!  But, it looks like now I'll have to ride my road bike.  It's not that bad because I love my road bike, but it's just not the same when you're racing.  So, this race will definitely just be a type of brick training day for me.  But, it will still be a lot of fun!
A lot of my TriBella teammates are racing too, so we'll get to meet up and cheer each other on.  I was going to do the sprint, but figured this is pretty much my only chance to do a duathlon, and I've always wanted to do one.  So, I'm pretty excited about it!!  :)

I know A LOT of you are racing this weekend too, so I want to wish you all GOOD LUCK!! :)

One more thing,
If they decide not to send me a new set, I'll be in the market for some new aerobars.  So, are there any aerobars out there that you absolutely love??

16 comments:

AM! said...

Hi!
I got so nervous when I saw your post title!!! I thought maybe you were injured.

schwew that it's not the case!!!

aerobars an ez fix...injury a bit longer. Thank gawd it's not that;-)

Jill said...

Well that sucks! I hope they give you new ones, I saw how expensive those things are!! And you can always do the Chilly Cheeks DU with me in December.... burrrr! :)

Good luck on the race this weekend, will be thinking of you! I'm off to hopefully not die at ERock! Ha.

Anonymous said...

OHH NOO!! At least you found out now and not half way through the bike at your race. To me, based on the photo, it looks like a glue issue. But thats just from looking at the pic.

Easton makes some quality Aerobars

Good luck this weekend, I suggest a mini brick with your road bike since it uses different muscles then your TT bike

Jon said...

GAH! Perfect timing, right? GAAAAAHHHH!!!!

I love my road bike too, but it certainly is NOT as fast as my TT bike.

Have a great race!

Heather said...

Will your shop give you a loaner pair??
Mine gave me a loaner seat, which is kinda gross, but whatcha going to do?

Good luck!

Molly said...

Aaaggghhh! I'm happy you found it before it became dangerous and that they are replacing it, but boooo on happening right before a race!

Maggs said...

wow. That's crazy. hope they warranty them for you!

Teamarcia said...

Big bummer on the broken aero bar. I hope it gets fixed quickly and to your liking. Best of luck with your race. Can't wait to hear all about it.

A Prelude To... said...

Have fun at your race (or brick...or whatever you're going to call it :-) this weekend!!
I'm doing a brick on Saturday but I'm doing my first ever swimming only race on Sunday. I figured since I'm driving over an hour to get to the lake I might as well go BIG...so I'm doing my longest swim ever - 4000 meters :D
Wish me luck!

Anne-Marie said...

Boo to the bike "injury", but that's good it's still under warranty. It's still frustrating when this stuff happens though!

Good luck at the duathlon!!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Good thing you were still under warranty!

I still need to get a pair of those things myself!

Alisa said...

Warranties (while most of the time I think are a crock) totally pay off once in awhile!

You're going to rock your race this weekend. I've got my first sprint tri next weekend and I'm already counting the days.

Unknown said...

So glad that you were still under warranty. Hopefully they fix them and fix them fast! I know you were racing this weekend but any time without your bike is not good!

I use and OVAL wing bar and put Vision Tech as my extenders.

Jamie said...

Bummer! Hope it gets fixed soon! I'm still a newbie with my bike so I'm pretty clueless in the way of bikes. lol

A Prelude To... said...

How did the race (ahem...brick...) go? I saw pictures on Julie's blog and heard her report - now I want to hear yours!!!!

Caratunk Girl said...

What a freaking bummer. I am so sorry, especially right before a race!

How did the DU go? Those are freaking painful.