May 31, 2011

Embrace the HEADWIND..

because you never know when you're going to get an AWESOME tailwind!!


WEEEEE!!!
 I was able to go on a 2 1/2 hr. bike ride today, and it was great!  I headed out and the wind was noticeable, but not too bad.  But, once I got about 40min. into my ride, the wind really started picking up!  It got so strong, and at one point I was literally only going 10mph!  I was breathing so hard, but I kept on keeping on.  Since I started my IMAZ training I have been trying to EMBRACE the wind instead of trying to avoid it.  IMAZ is known for being windy on the bike course, so I really need to spend as much time as I can riding in windy conditions.  I will be hoping and praying that it won't be too windy, but you just never know what race day will bring.  So, in the meantime, BRING IT WIND!!

I rode out for 1:15, then decided to turn around.  When I started heading back towards home  IT WAS AWESOME!!  I was able to average well over 20mph and it was so fun speeding down the trail on my tri bike!  The wind made such a big difference heading out that it actually took me 15minutes LESS to cover the same distance.  WOOHOO!  It was so much fun!  
You know you're jealous of my helmet hair!  :)
  Now, the bike is put away, and I'm sitting here relaxing in my compression tights as I type!  Life is good!
Ahhh...I LOVE these! 
I hope you all had a great Memorial Day weekend!!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice riding, also the wind is a subsitute for hill training for us flat land people.

I am from AZ, its windy because its a desert and no trees to block that wind

Jon said...

The worst thing about a headwind is that scratching noise in your ears. It will drive you batty!

The BEST thing about a tailwind is that eerie silence when you can hear your wheels turning. Of course the feeling like you are on steroids feeling is great too :)

Christi said...

I am learning to embrace the wind. It seems like all my rides to date have included high winds at some point!

Great job on the IM training!

justme said...

love/hate that wind ...

trisha*n said...

I had the same experience today! About 30 minutes into my ride I felt like i was moving backwards from the wind. But in the end it worked out :)

Unknown said...

Need to get me some of those compression tights. They just look awesome!

Running and living said...

Awesome Aimee! I have the same tights, except that mine have a sock like thing to them. They work wonders!

Question for you: Did you receive those E21 pills. Just making sure they did not get lost in the mail:)

Ironman By Thirty said...

I agree with Jon. I hate how noisy a head wind is. It is like every car is sneaking up on me and scares the crap out of me.

Enjoy your evening!

Jill said...

I told Christi on our ride last weekend that I have no idea what it's like to NOT ride with strong winds. I suppose one day when I do, it will be a thousand degrees. Nice job on the ride, girl - woohooo!!

Julie said...

Yea for a beautiful day to ride! I'll take the head or tail winds..not that I like them...but those cross winds...YIKES!

DRog said...

great training in the wind!
I had some yesterday....at this point with our weather i am not complaining!!

D

Jason said...

Training and riding in the wind is great b/c you never know what will show up on race day.

Are those Zoot compression pants? Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I live on the prairies, so I hear you on the wind. Tailwinds are FUN!

Dawn said...

I always try to like the head wind because I THINK i'll get a tail wind coming home. But I SWEAR the wind changes direction and I get a head wind on the return trip as well! I'm SURE of it!:)

Sherri said...

There always seems to be wind...and I feel the same way...can't get rid of it...so embrace it! Plus...like you said...the tail wind ROCKS!

Michael said...

My last two longer rides have been in very windy conditions. Last week, I was going straight up a hill in the wind and looked down and was going 4.4 mph....yes 4.4. I literally could have gotten off my bike and walked faster. It's a tough hill and I can usually only go 7 or 8 mph, but 4 was just ridiculous.

Great ride!

Caratunk Girl said...

WIND!! I know, it is sometimes, when you are heading into the wind like.."COME ON" Just wishing it would let up. Tail winds rock. You know what I really don't like? CROSSWINDS. Those are the ones when you think you are biking into a headwind on an out and back, looking forward to the tailwind on the return. You turn around. There is still a headwind, but this time, even worse. UGH. We get that a lot here.