May 21, 2011

Life Happens

So, I have been gone for way too long!  I have so many blogs to read, and hopefully I'll get to them soon, but for now, I am exhausted and emotionally drained.  I haven't been able to do one ounce of "traditional" training this past week, but as you'll read below, I got in plenty of "untraditional" training!  Here's what's been going on for the past week!



As you know, our house sold fairly quickly and we just didn't have time to find that "perfect" house for us.  We closed on our house yesterday, and without a new house to move into, we had to get all of our stuff out and the house cleaned and ready for the new owners.







If only, it was this easy to move out of a house!! 


Instead, we got a budget truck last Saturday, and from 7AM Saturday to 10PM Sunday, my husband and I managed to move almost everything out of our house into our 2bdrm. apartment (which has 2 flights of stairs by the way!!) AND into... 





our lovely storage unit where we had to load things onto carts, go into an elevator, go up 3 flights, then cart the stuff to our unit!  UGH!!  It took so long!  We stacked things as high as we could and packed it FULL, but it was still not enough space.  It is simply amazing what you accumulate after living in a house for 8 years!!  

So, where did the rest of the stuff go?? In the garage in our apartment! It is packed full, with just a little walkway done the middle!!



It was A LOT of work and we are still amazed at what we were able to get done in 1 weekend.

Then, this past week we had to get all the "little" stuff out of the house, which meant loading up the car, driving to the apt, unloading, walking up/down stairs, then driving back to the house to get more stuff.  OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!! 

 Once everything was out, it was time to clean and do paint touch-ups throughout the house.  I WISH I was as happy as the lady in that picture, but really I was an emotional mess!  With every room that I emptied and cleaned, I would have a little breakdown and shed a few tears.  Seeing empty rooms just made me really sad thinking about all of the memories we had over the years.  

But, I kept on going because it needed to be done.  And, when I was done, the house looked absolutely BEAUTIFUL.  I was proud of all the hard work we put in and knew the new owners would appreciate it too.   


Thursday night, the last night we officially owned the house, we had our final goodbye.  We decided to do a "picnic" dinner on the dining room floor.  

Then, we walked out to the "Magical fairy tree," the tree where my boys LOVED to dig and dig for hours!  They filled a treasure box with some of their toys, and we decided to bury it under the tree. 
 Our hope is that some day, there will be other little boys and girls digging under that tree that will find the treasure box.  Imagine how excited they will be when they dig it up!!   

 The entire process has been so emotional for me.  That was our first house.  We raised our boys there and have had so many special memories there.  It was very hard to say goodbye.  But, I know that we will find the perfect house for us (hopefully sooner rather than later!).  We are on this new adventure, and although it is going to be a little stressful, it will be all worth it in the end!  




22 comments:

Unknown said...

Ughh...my heart goes out to you right now! I despise moving, and it is even harder when there are emotions involved. Hang in there!!

Jill said...

I know it was very difficult to leave Alabama and the first house my kids ever knew and I've been in my current house for 14 years...if I had to move suddenly it would be heartbreaking. But as you say, life goes on and Im sureyou new home is going to be filled with even more fun-filled memories!!

Excellent workout, btw!!! :)

JC said...

Yeah to a new adventure - one for the entire family! New and fond memories to be made in someplace new.

Emz said...

your attitude is awesome.
I love it.

I also love the treasure box -- so great Aimee.

Pahla said...

I absolutely love that treasure box idea!! It makes me want to go dig in my yard to see if the last people who owned this house left us anything fun! :) I'm glad you checked in, I've been thinking about you. Hope you find your dream house soon!!

Jon said...

Moving stinks. I am that friend who makes sure I am gone for the weekend when my friends move. Actually, I just tell them I don't want to get injured.

Wicked weight lifting! Are you guys looking for a bigger place?

Julie said...

That's a crazy workout girl!!! I can't imagine how exhausted you must be! Training for Ironman will seem like a piece of cake next to this. :)

Here's hoping you find your dream home soon, but not so soon that you haven't had a chance to recover.

Heather said...

Congratulations on selling the house.
I hope you find your new house soon. (Moving once is a pain-moving TWICE is pain cubed. We did this dance last summer and my husband had just had Tommy John surgery so he couldn't lift anything. Nice.)

A Prelude To... said...

I'm so glad the house selling went so well!! On to a new adventure, right?!

I'm picturing my own kids digging up that treasure box and how excited they would be. What a GREAT idea, that was!

Unknown said...

I had a hard time leaving last time we moved. Even when you know it is right, it is still hard to leave the house where your kids were babies.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Oh Aimee I can only imagine how emotional something as big as this must be! We have a magical fairy tree too. This is too cool what you guys did. Thinking of you and Congrats on selling the house. Oh, the bra I got is called the Handful bra. You can google it but it is great for women like me that really only need a bra to make us look like we have more than raisins for boobs. It is a padded sports bra. ha ha! Might not be for you. ;)

Alisa said...

Wow, I can't even imagine how I'd feel. We've only been in our house for like 8 months and already created so many memories.

I think that is so neat that you left something for the new owners. I hope someone finds it someday. I know when my mom sold the house I grew up in, I was out of college, it was bought by one of our old neighbors that wanted to move back to the neighborhood! I've actually been back to see it and found some old "secrets" that I left too---aka I wrote my initials in the closet next to a line for how tall I was at the time (it was like junior high). It was still there!

Stairs are great training and I have no doubt you'll be back in the saddle again.

Unknown said...

Why are you cleaning the house after you move out? We just closed on a house and it's FLITHY! I'm spending a fortune to get a janitorial service to clean the new house before we move in.

Mark said...

Oh man... I am right there with you. We have a move to do this summer as well. It is both physically and emotionally exhausting. Hang in there. You will make new memories, and always have those which you've created prior to the move. I am with Julie... this WILL make Ironman seem like a walk in the park. ;-)

Unknown said...

Super big ((HUG)) to you guys. I know it's great that the house sold so quick, but I can only imagine how hard the process is!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Wow! What a weekend. It sounds like it was both physically and emotionally draining. I can't imagine moving out of our house and we haven't even raised kids here yet.

Good luck finding your new dream home!

Christi said...

I feel for ya. We moved from the house that my son basically grew up in and it was not easy.

Good luck with the house hunting!

funderson said...

OH Aimee! I'm so sorry. I'm sure you'll find the best house ever and all this will be worth it!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Too bad I dont live closer, you totally cold have hired me to help move for the low cost of alot of bakery goodies.

Julie said...

Hi Aimee,
Big hugs to you! I know how hard it is to let go of something that you are so attached to for so many reasons. Just remember that everything happens for a reason....that perfect house is our there! The timing just needs to be right:) Hang in there!

Dawn said...

Sad....yet exciting. I like your buried treasure idea! And your picnic on the floor is what we do every time we move:)))
hugs to you on your new adventure!!!!

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

Congrats to selling the house! And here's to another adventure!! The treasure chest was so cute!!