June 14, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Broiled Tofu with Mmmm Sauce!

Broiled Tofu with Mmmm Sauce!
This combo has definitely become a permanent part of our dinner rotation!  The marinade for this tofu is so good, and the Mmmm sauce...well, I think the name says it all!  We eat the tofu and sauce with steamed brown rice, steamed broccoli and carrots, and chickpeas.  Yum!  I have to admit, that I didn't come up with this recipe.  Instead, I got it from Sarah at Peas and Thank You [HERE].  She is an awesome mom and always shares the most delicious recipes!  Seriously, check out her blog..it's awesome!  

Before I get to the recipe, I have to do a quick review on my new favorite kitchen item.  IT IS AMAZING!  Before I got this, every time I had to make a recipe that called for pressed tofu, I would cringe.  It was always such a royal pain in the you know what because this is how I had to do it:
It was messy and really really time consuming.  
My life has now changed because of this:
This little device is simply AMAZING!  It makes pressing tofu a breeze.  All you do is put your tofu block inside it and put on the spring top.
Put it in the fridge, and let the magic happen.  After awhile, all of the liquid from the tofu will rise and pool on the top. 
Now, all you have to do is pour the liquid into the sink, take the spring top off, and viola, you have a nice pressed block of tofu.  Woohoo!  See, I told you it was amazing!!  
So, if you make a lot of meals that call for pressed tofu, run, don't walk, to the computer and order one for yourself!  You can get your very own Tofu Xpress [HERE].  Seriously, it is sooo worth it!  

O-kay, now back to the recipe!!!
Broiled Tofu Ingredients:
Serves 4

*  1 container xtra firm tofu
*  2Tbl. soy sauce
*  juice of one lime
*  1Tbl. agave or maple syrup
*  1Tbl. water
*  1tsp. minced garlic
*  1tsp. chili powder
*  1/2tsp. cumin

Directions:
1.  Press your tofu.
2.  Slice the tofu into slabs about 1/2 inch thick.
3.  Mix all of the marinade ingredients into a large container with a sealable lid.  I used a tupperware container.
4.  Add the tofu to the container.
5.  Put the lid on the container and gently swirl the container so the tofu gets covered in the marinade.
6.  Put the container in the fridge and marinate for at least 2 hours.  *Note:  I always like to marinate my tofu for as long as I possibly can.  So, I'll either marinate it first thing in the morning if I'm having it for dinner that night, or even do it the night before.  The longer the tofu marinates, the better it will absorb the flavors.
7. When the tofu is done marinating, preheat the broiler.
8.  Lightly coat a cookie/baking sheet with cooking spray.
9.  Arrange the tofu slices on the sheet and drizzle any remaining marinade over the slices.

10.  Broil the tofu for 5-6min. on one side, flip the tofu over and broil on the other side for another 5-6min.  Note:  While the tofu is broiling, make the Mmmm sauce.  
11.  Enjoy!  YUM!!

Mmmm Sauce Ingredients:
Makes 1 1/2C of sauce
*  1/4C almonds
*  1/4C canola oil (or oil of your choice)
*  1/3C water
*  1/4C chickpeas, drained and rinsed
*  1/4C  nutritional yeast
*  2 1/2Tbl. lemon juice
*  1tsp. minced garlic
*  1/4tsp. salt
*  3/4tsp. curry powder
*  1/2tsp. dried oregano

Directions:
1.  In a high speed blender or food processor, combine the almonds, oil, water, and chickpeas.  Blend until smooth.
2.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
3.  Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until serving.  *Note: This sauce will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for 7-10 days. 

For dinner,  put down the rice, steamed veggies, chickpeas, and tofu.  Top with Mmmm sauce.  Yum, yum, yum!!  Enjoy!!
Oh, and just try not to lick the bowl of Mmm sauce clean!  I dare you!  :)  

12 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Looks yummy! Very cool gadget too.

Caratunk Girl said...

I want that gadget!!! Looks really good.

misszippy said...

How cool is that little toy! Perfect for you. And I'm loving the sounds of that recipe.

Emz said...

It sounds like a
Mmmmmmmust try!!

Love. It.

Dawn said...

Oh this sounds good! I am always amazed by people who eat so great and take the time to make it all. Again....wish we lived next door. I'd be the pain in the arse neighbor coming over all the time;)) For dinner:)

Jason said...

I need that life saver NOW.

By the way that broiled tofu looks ridiculously good. It has a nice firm texture and the broiled look is great.

On the menu I say.

ShutUpandRun said...

Yum. I have got to get one of those press things. I just use paper towels and skillets and bricks. It's a pain.

funderson said...

mercy..I need to tri this!
thank you thank you...I'll be here all week...

Tricia said...

super awesome!

Jon said...

You are always expanding the possibilities of my normal routine. Looks yummy!

Jill said...

I guess I should get brave and try tofu....

Maggs said...

I need that gadget. I do the towel and pot/pan/book method.