April 13, 2011

I love the TRX!

I have a confession...I do not like strength training.  Going to the gym, lifting weights, fighting over the machines/weights with huge bodybuilder guys just isn't fun!  Plus, I am not convinced that traditional strength training is the way to go for me, as a triathlete.  I know that strength training does play an important role, so I have been doing a lot of research about strength training and functional training.  One thing that keeps coming up is the TRX system [HERE].  The reviews from users of the TRX are all amazing, but the system is pretty pricey.  So, before making the decision to buy the system, I decided to give it a try.

For the past month I have been going to a place called The Power Method [HERE] for TRX classes.  We meet on M,W, and F mornings from 6-7AM.  Let me just tell you that I get such a great full body strength workout every time I go.   The instructor is awesome and always upbeat.  And, she plays awesome music that goes with the flow of the class.  I LOVE it!  

The system just makes sense to me.  If you don't know what the TRX is all about, take a couple of minutes and check out the video below. The system is designed such that you use your own body weight to make the movements harder/easier depending on your level of fitness.  I also like how the movements we do in the class mimic the movements we do as endurance athletes.  
  


Seriously, it is amazing what you can do with the system!  The only problem is that now that I am in love with it, I have to find a way to come up with some moola to buy one to have at home.  Ha ha!
Do any of you use the TRX?  If so, how do you like it?

*Note:  I was not given any money for this review of the TRX.  My review is based on my own experiences with the classes I have taken.  However, if Fitness Anywhere wants to give me an actual TRX to use at home and review, that would be awesome! :)  
 

23 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

This sounds very cool. Might have to see if there is something offered nearby.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am one of those people who love to lift, though I dont at the gym, I do it in my basement

I am interested in TRX, though I am scared to try something new with race season about start, but will try it out in the offseason

Caratunk Girl said...

I wish I could try this out!! Sounds awesome!!

Unknown said...

We have this at our gym, but I feel like I need an instructional video to use it! :) Maybe some insight from the master??? :)

Julie D. said...

I love TRX too. I go to a class that incorporates it and I've been trying my hand at it at the gym on my own, which is a little intimidating! It has done awesome things for my strength and definition.

Molly said...

I LOVE my TRX - just LOVE it! It's done all sorts of great stuff for me strength-wise that I've never been able to get anyway else.

Teamarcia said...

My trainer (the illustrious Mars) turned me onto TRX. Love it! I wish I had a class to go to though.

trisha*n said...

I have heard so much about this. I want to try it! Except I'm afraid I'll get attached too :) Funny thing - my last posts have been on weight training! We must be on the same wave length!

Christi said...

I actually like lifting but I have seen the TRX class going on at the gym. I don't know if I will try but you have me thinking about it a little bit more!

misszippy said...

We have one starting at one of our gyms soon...you make me want to check it out.

I am making your stuffed squash recipe as we speak!

A Prelude To... said...

I know nothing about it, but I want to learn. I've heard from trainers that it is simply AWESOME!

Amanda@runninghood said...

never heard of this but that would be awesome if they hooked you up for writing such a great review!!! :)

Chris and Amy said...

I go to a TRX class Tuesday and thursday mornings. I LOVE it! My arms are so sore from the last workout that I can barely type this comment. :)

Julie said...

I heard a commercial or something the other day for this and thought of you! I'm glad you've given it a try and even more glad that you really enjoy it!

Michael said...

Seems pretty interesting. I also hate to life....blah...this would be more enjoyable.

Michael said...

oops that should say lift. I don't hate life :)

Jill said...

I may have to see if they have any afternoon or evening classes, the few times I used it in my athletic training class. I heard these contraptions aren't all that pricey, hope you can get one for your workout room soon!

Suzy said...

Wow, that looks hard! As for the Lays, you weren't far off. I certainly felt like throwing up.

Jon said...

My coach is a HUGE TRX fan. I live in a small apartment and have no good doorways to mount the TRX.

I want to try it out SO bad!

Kelly said...

I haven't tried the TRX yet - I usually lift on my own, but I've heard great things about TRX!! And if it makes strength training more enjoyable, then it's a win-win!

Barbie said...

i am not a weights person either but this looks like some serious fun

DRog said...

LOVELovelove strength training !
TRX sounds awesome

D

Velma said...

I have to find a class in the STL!!! Nice work :)