I have had a great training week so far. Because both of my boys are in school now, I was able to tweak my schedule a little bit. I decided to start doing my tempo runs on Mondays, my long runs on Wednesday, and my speed work on Saturdays. Usually I do my long runs on Saturday which takes up a lot of time. But, because I don't get to spend as much time with my boys during the week anymore, I wanted to free up some time on the weekend. I know I'll be doing my speed workouts, but they are relatively short in comparison to a long 16, 18, or 20 mile run! Plus, it will be nice to have more time on the weekends to spend as a family. :)
* I am happy to say that I did my first 16 MILE run this week! I was actually really excited to do it because up to this point, the longest I've run is 14 miles. I loaded up my Nathan belt with Hammer gel, Gu, water, NUUN, and watered down Gatorade and took off. The weather was perfect, and although I was excited, I had a little voice of doubt in the back of my mind questioning whether or not I could make the distance. It seems like no matter what we're training for, we always get to points in the plan where self doubt comes into play. But, I am constantly amazed by what my body can do. I have found that if I'm consistent and do the work, then my body will continue to do things that I never thought it could do (like run 16miles at once!). I know 26.2 miles is still 10.2 miles further than 16, but after that run I was finally able to visualize myself running the marathon. I know that may sound weird, but up until this point, I haven't really pushed myself beyond what I've already done. Being able to do the 16 miles, gave me a boost of confidence that I needed!
* I started going to my weekly yoga classes again, and oh how I have missed them. I have found that it is just an all around awesome workout. I am able to work my muscles, get in some good stretching, and release some stress. I love it!
Other things too:
* We took our boys hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park on Sunday, and it was awesome! We hiked up hill for 1.1 miles to two beautiful lakes, then hiked back down. Although there was some whining throughout the 2.2 mile hike, which was totally expected with a 3 and 5 yr. old, they were both real troopers and did better than we expected! My husband and I both commented about how we cannot wait until they are old enough to go on backpacking trips.
* Diana from Diana Tries a Tri gave me the Cherry on Top Award! Yay! If you haven't checked out her blog, do it, because she is hilarious and has the best pictures in her posts! :)
Here are the rules:
#1 Answer this question: If you had the chance to go back and change one thing in your life, would you and what would it be?
Answer: Hmmm, this is a very loaded question. Of course there are things that I wish I could change, but ultimately I think everything we do leads us to where we are at this point in our lives. But, maybe one thing I would change is I wish that I would have had more fun and gone on more adventures when I was in college and then newly married. My husband and I look back to the time before we had our boys and think about all of the missed opportunities we had to go backpacking, hiking a 14er, or going on a spectacular adventure together. Before we knew it, time passed by, we bought a house, and had two kids. I LOVE my boys, and could not imagine my life without them, but when you have kids, your life automatically changes. Our days of backpacking are long gone, and I know my boys will grow up way too fast and before I know it we'll be backpacking as a family. But, there's a part of me that misses doing these things with my husband. It's something that WE did together and it was awesome! It makes me realize that I need to make more time for my husband and get better at planning date nights.
#2 The second thing you have to do is, pick 6 people and give them this award. You then have to inform the person that they have gotten this award.
Answer: This award has been going around like crazy, so there are already a lot of you that have been picked. So, I'm going to pick bloggers that I don't think have received it yet!
1. Anne Marie from Anne-Marie's Blog
2. Kathleen at Dare To Dream
3. Kevin at Ironman By Thirty
4. Alexa at Just Keep Swimming
5. Julie at You Just Have to Tri
6. Alisa at Ambitious Aspirations Make Great Accomplishments
#3 The third and final thing is, thank the person who gave you the award.
Answer: Diana, thank you so much for the award! :) Your blog always make me smile and/or laugh!