September 16, 2010

Humpastry Day - Baked Oatmeal

Baked Oatmeal
I came across a recipe for baked oatmeal on allrecipes.com and thought it sounded very interesting.  I love making the traditional oatmeal in our zojirushi cooker (best appliance EVER!), but let's face it, it takes quite a bit of time.  I love oatmeal, and although fall is quickly approaching, sometimes I'm just not in the mood for something hot and steamy (get your minds out of the gutter!) when it's not cold out.  So, with a few healthy tweaks in the recipe, I decided to give this a try.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by the result.  You can see from the picture above that it kind of bakes into a type of oatmeal bar.  It is soft and moist and is actually good eaten as is, but it would also be a great snack for during the day.  But, for breakfast, we decided to heat it in the microwave (~45sec) with some milk, raisins, and bananas.  Yum, yum, yum!  Everyone loved it and my boys ate every last bit of it in their bowls!  It was a nice change from traditional oatmeal and I will definitely be making it again!
Ingredients:
Makes about 8 servings
* 3C rolled oats
*  1/2C brown sugar
*  2tsp. cinnamon
*  2tsp. baking powder
*  1tsp. salt
*  1C Soymilk
*  2 flax eggs (3Tbl. flax mixed with 6Tbl. water)
*  1/2C applesauce
*  2tsp. vanilla extract
* 1C frozen blueberries **Note: you could use just about any fruit (frozen, fresh, or dried) instead of blueberries.  Next time I'm thinking about using diced apples...yum!

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
3.  Mix in the milk, applesauce, flax eggs, and vanilla.
4.  Stir in the blueberries.
5.  Spread into a 9x13" baking dish.
6.  Bake for ~30 minutes.
7.  Enjoy!

17 comments:

Andrew Opala said...

This looks great! Another one I will try.

BTW I think George Foreman got the idea for his grill from the zojirushi cooker!

Christi said...

That looks really yummy! I have to try this one!

misszippy said...

Sounds and looks fantastic. I'm going to print it out!

Caratunk Girl said...

WOW!! That looks so freaking good!!!

Jen said...

Yum! This sounds great - definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!

JC said...

This looks/sounds tasty - I think I'm going to have to try this one. YUM!
HUGE congrats on your 5km barefoot race! That is so cool!

Anonymous said...

I think I intended to try making baked oatmeal a long time ago, but never did. Looks good!

Amber Shea

Emz said...

I heart recipe day!

Never stop these posts!

I love them!

Teamarcia said...

Yum as usual! I've never heard of this zojiwhatever appliance...have I been under a rock?

Julie said...

Yummy! I've made baked oatmeal before...I'll need to give it another whirl!

Julie said...

Looks good Aimee:) I hope that you have a great weekend!

Regina said...

The mornings have been pretty cool here lately and oatmeal has been the breakfast of choice, so this will be great to try!! I love your recipes! YOu are my new 'go to' site for baked goods!

Anne-Marie said...

That looks tasty, healthy, and perfect for an on-the-go breakfast or post-workout snack. Thanks!!

chris mcpeake said...

tasty stuff, looks great

Barbie said...

That looks absolutely delicious. Will have to give this a go. Thanks for sharing.

Krista said...

This is a great idea! It is also good because I could bring it to work and prepare it there if I don't have time at home :)

Kevin said...

Was it chewy or hard? I am going to have to try this recipe.

-Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/