August 17, 2011

Humpastry Day - Choco Cherry Chia Granola

Choco Cherry Chia Granola
I know it's been like a bazillion weeks since I last did a Humpastry post...sorry!  Unfortunately, with all of my training, I haven't had much time for baking.  BUT, I have been craving chocolate like crazy!!  Chocolate chip cookies?  Yes, please!  Thin mint frozen yogurt?  Yes, please!  Spoonfulls of peanut butter covered in chocolate chips?  Yes, please!  While I haven't been going crazy with this chocolate stuff, I have let myself indulge a couple of times.  Everything in moderation is my moto!

Anyways, because I've been on this chocolate kick, I decided to tweak my Homemade Granola recipe and make it chocolicious!  I think the end result turned out super yummy!  It is great on yogurt, ice cream, or even eaten by the handful right out of the container! :)  I hope you like it!

Ingredients:
See that HUGE bag of choco chips?? I told you I was craving chocolate!  Oh, and ignore that almond extract in the picture...I didn't end up using it.



*  2C old-fashioned oats
*  1/2C chopped almonds (or nuts of choice)
*  1/4C ground flaxseed
*  1/4C chia seeds
*  2/3C grapenuts (or other nugget like cereal)
*  2/3C dried cherries (you can use any dried fruit here, but I like the choco cherry combo best!)
*  1/2tsp. cinnamon
*  1/8tsp. salt
*  2Tbl. coco powder


* 2/3C brown sugar
*  1/3C water
*  1Tbl. agave (or other sweetener)
*  1/2C choco chips


Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
3.  In a big bowl, combine all of the ingredients except brown sugar, water, agave, and choco chips.

4.  In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar and water.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves (~2-3min).
5.  Remove from heat and add agave and chocolate chips.  Stir until combined.
6.  Pour the choco mixture into the dry mixture and stir until the dry mixture is coated.

7.  Spread the mixture onto the cookie sheet.

8.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
9.  Let cool completely (if you can wait that long!).  The granola will harden as it cools.
10.  Once cool, break into chunks and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
11.  Enjoy!

10 comments:

Jill said...

I am drooling all over the keyboard!!!!

Jason said...

You are hitting on all cylinders right now. The Banana S'Mores and now this.

Wow....

Julie said...

That looks soooo good!!!!! I wonder if I could resist eating this all at once?

I love chia seeds too. I've been using them on a regular basis and I really think I notice a difference on my hydrating.

Running back to look at that list...I think I can make this right now.... I'm not sure if I should say thank you or not. :)

Regina said...

Damn, gurl! Where you been with your Humpastry Day?! I've been having withdrawals. I had to make baked oatmeal for like, the 10th time. ;). Can't wait to try this. Chocolate is your friend!

Jon said...

So I have been seeing Chia seeds more and more lately and I just wikipedia-ed them. They seem pretty healthy!

Have you done any recipes focusing on chia seeds? Or can you eat them raw as a snack? (do they taste good on their own)

Alisa said...

This looks sooooo good!


So fun to meet you!!!!!!! Thanks again for driving all the way in.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Yayyy for Humpastry Day

Teamarcia said...

Oh humpastry how I've missed you!

Unknown said...

Oh, that looks so good. Sadly, too good for my kitchen. I wouldn't be able to have a reasonable portion. Hmmm, I could make a granola version without chocolate though. Note: I know that is sacrilege, but a non-chocolate version would get eaten in moderation here...

Anonymous said...

XOXOXO Catching up on your posts... miss you so much! Love you and keep uo the good work, November is right around the corner - you can do it!!!!!!!