August 9, 2011

Camping Fun!

We had a complete blast this weekend on our camping adventure!  This is the perfect time to go camping in the mountains because the weather is in the 70s during the day and 40s at night....just perfect!!  And, we were reminded just how perfect it was when we got home and it was 92 degrees..ugh!  But, that is one nice thing about Colorado.  You can leave the heat of the city for the cool of the mountains!  Anyways, I thought I'd share some of our adventure with all of you!  :)


Here's my husband at the end of the Copper Triangle ride.  He did awesome!  I swear, he drives me crazy with how good of a climber he is though.  He is just built for climbing.  If I were to attempt that however, I would be sucking wind and probably have to walk!

We loaded up his bike, grabbed a quick lunch and headed towards the campground.  Because it was already Saturday afternoon, we hoped there would still be a camp spot left, but knew we were taking a gamble.  After about an hour drive, we got to the campground and found it completely packed!  We went into the Holy Cross Wilderness which is absolutely beautiful and probably why it was so busy.  After driving around for awhile, we finally found a campsite in the National Forest.  It didn't have facilities, but we didn't have a choice at this point.

Now, normally NOT having facilities is alright, but with a 4 and 6yr. old we quickly learned that IT IS A MUST.  Needless to say, the boys got their first lesson in how to poop in the forest!  Ha ha!  And, my husband and I decided that tomorrow we would move camp when all the other campers headed home.

Our lovely new campsite.  Do you see the stream in the background?  It was awesome!  The boys loved throwing rocks/twigs in it and my husband loved fishing in it.  Plus, at night, the sound of the water  made the perfect background noise.







We drove up the road to a reservoir and the views from the top were so beautiful!













The boys even got to "fish!"  We didn't catch anything, but they had a blast anyways! :)













That night we had a new campfire desert instead of smores.  You take a banana, peel away the top part of the peel, cut it in half, then stuff with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.  Then you wrap it up with aluminum foil and put it on the campfire for about 20min.







The end product is an ooey, gooey, marshmellowy, chocolatey desert.  And, the best part (beside the deliciousness) is that you can eat it with a spoon right out of the banana peel for a mess free desert!  YUM, YUM, YUM!!






 

The next day, before heading back home, we decided to go on a hike.  IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!  The wildflowers were amazing and literally covered the mountain sides.









It was a perfect end to a perfect weekend.  :)

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awesome! I grew up making those banana smores and don't know anyone else who knows what I am talking about when I describe them. Love them!

TriMOEngr said...

Just the getaway we all need once in a while. Though I find "vacation with children" tends to be an oxymoron (especially of the younger variety). I laughed when I saw your snack - I swear I just saw that in a magazine at the hair salon today! Beautiful scenery! Gorgeous temps! Dead jealous here for sure!!

Julie said...

How fun!!!! I haven't gotten to go camping at all in the last couple of years. I kind of miss it. :( The boys will be back in school on the 22nd and summer is over....

oh and those banana things...yumm!

Johann said...

Camping is great! Seems like you had a really good time. We camp very often and I do a lot of my trail races "out of the tent".

Christi said...

What a great weekend of fun!

FYI, I know you could handle Copper Triangle. Come do it with me next year!

Unknown said...

Looks like a fabulous weekend! Oh, those banana smores...

Unknown said...

That banana looks amazing! Great camping desert idea - thanks!

Jason said...

OMG Aimee I am on my way to the grocery store right now to get choco chips to make that dessert for Chico tonight.

I am literally having a waterfall in my mouth right now from drooling.

Sage said...

We just got back from camping as well. I wish I had known about the banana smores. I'll definitely try it on our next trip.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

What a great trip

B.o.B. said...

holy crap those look delish! Jason B sent me over and can I just say...YUM!

i'm not a big camper but i may decide to camp just for those. lol!

Ironman By Thirty said...

Sounds like a great trip!

Dawn said...

Looks like you had awesome fun! I've had too many things booked this summer to get out to camp in the wilderness...I'm hoping September!
Way to "wing it"....you are very brave with younger kids! I don't know as I would have been so courageous;))

Mark said...

That picture with you and your boys in the background is awesome!

Thanks for giving wifey and I a new camping treat. That looks incredibly dangerous.

Laurie said...

We went to the mountains this past weekend too - but we hoteled it - not as much fun as your camping sounds!

A Prelude To... said...

That banana idea is SPECTACULAR!!! Next time!