Makes ~3 dozen cookies
* 1/4C Earth Balance Butter
* 1/4C unsweetened applesauce
* 1/2C br. sugar
* 1/4C raw sugar/white sugar (*Note: I'm posting the original recipe, but when I make these again, I am actually going to decrease the raw sugar to 2Tbl)
* 1 flax egg (1Tbl. ground flax mixed with 3Tbl water)
* 1/2C molasses
* 2C whole wheat flour
* 1 1/2tsp. baking soda
* 1tsp. baking powder
* 1 1/2tsp. ground ginger
* 3/4tsp. ground nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice (*Note: if you like a lot of spice, feel free to do heaping amounts!)
* raw sugar for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a silpat, parchment, or grease lightly.
2. Make your flax egg and set aside while you do the next step.
3. In a large bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices.
4. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, applesauce, brown sugar, and raw sugar.
5. Mix the flax egg into the wet mixture. Then, add the molasses and mix until combined.
6. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just blended.
7. Using a spoon or Tablespoon, scoop out the dough into small balls. Place on the cookie sheet 2" apart.
8. If you want, sprinkle a tiny amount of raw sugar on the top of each cookie before baking.
9. Bake for ~9minutes, until the tops are cracked. *Note: you can bake them longer for a crispy cookie, or for less time for a chewier cookie.
10. When the cookies are done, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.