So, I found out that I have Bronchitis.....uggh! It is so annoying at this point that I don't even know what to say about it. I've had it for over a week and maybe it's getting better??? I actually felt pretty good yesterday and wasn't coughing quite as much. But, do you think I rested like normal people would have done? Nope! I decided to ride my bike for 40min. last night during Biggest Loser! I don't know what I was thinking. Actually, I know exactly what I was thinking. I was tired of just sitting around waiting to get better...I was itching to workout and I knew I couldn't run yet....I needed to sweat! I actually felt great while I was riding, but once I stopped all hell broke lose! My already irritated lungs just couldn't take the increase in heart rate, breathing, etc...from working out and I had....I kid you not....a nonstop coughing fit for 20 minutes!
I am just so ready for it to be gone so I can resume my training, my sleeping, and my not having to take medicine to make it through the day! The worst thing about it though is that I have passed it onto my son.... :( Last night my 4yr. old started coughing and kept waking up in the middle of the night from coughing fits...poor little guy. I really hope he doesn't get it as bad as I have it!
So, today I'm just feeling a little too sorry for myself and decided to make some brownies! I looked online for some "healthy" brownie recipes and finally came up with my own version. I didn't really know how these would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised. They are moist and chocolaty and pretty good for not having any butter in them! I must say though that they have a pretty strong cocoa powder taste. I got this great can of cocoa powder from a friend that is way stronger in flavor then the baking cocoa powder you get at the grocery store, so I think that played a big role in the flavor and the color (they came out a lot darker than regular brownies too). When (not if!) I make these again I think I'll decrease the amount of cocoa powder to maybe 1/4C instead of 1/3C. Oh...and if you want to make these vegan, just use vegan chocolate chips instead of regular ones.
(Makes 12 brownies in a 9x9 pan)
* 1 egg/ flax egg ( 1Tbl. flax mixed with 3Tbl. warm water)
* 1 1/8C applesauce (you only need the 1/8 C if you use raw sugar. If you use regular sugar, just use 1C applesauce)
* 1/2C raw/turbinado sugar
* 1tsp. vanilla
* 1/3C cocoa powder
* 1/2tsp. baking powder
* 1/2tsp. salt
* 1/4C oats ground in a processor to resemble flour
* 3Tbl. whole wheat pastry flour
* 3Tbl. whole wheat flour
* 2Tbl. wheat germ
(Note: if you don't want to mess with the different flours you could just use all whole wheat pastry flour)
* 1C chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x9 pan.
2. Mix the flax egg, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl mix the cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, flours, oats, and wheat germ together.
4. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix until just combined.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour the batter into the 9x9 pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick/knife comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into the brownies.
Enjoy! These would be delicious with ice cream....yum, yum!