January 4, 2010

Homemade Lara Bars = Yum!!

I found a recipe for homemade Lara Bars from this blog awhile ago and have meaning to make them but I never thought I had the time. Finally, after realizing I had some dates to use up I decided to give this recipe a try. Not only are these bars super easy to make, they are absolutely delicious!! I doubled the recipe and made 4 bars because I figured if I was going to make these I better make more than 2...I'm so glad I did!! :)

Here is the recipe:
Very Cherry Bars

Ingredients for 2 bars:
* 1/4 C chopped whole dates (~5 dates)
* 1/4 C dried cherries
* 1/3 C whole pecans, almonds, or walnuts (I used almonds)
* 1/8 tsp. cinnamon

Steps:
1. Set out two pieces of plastic wrap for shaping and wrapping the bars. It's good to do this ahead of time b/c your fingers will be sticky when you need these.
2. Put the dates and cherries in a food processor and pulse until processed to a paste. Transfer paste to a medium sized bowl.
3. Add the nuts to the processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the cinnamon to the nuts and pulse again to mix.
4. Add the nut mixture to the fruit paste and use your fingers to knead the nuts into the paste. At first it might seem like there are a lot of nuts, but just keep kneading!
5. Divide the mixture in half and place each half on one sheet of plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic wrap around each bar and squish it into a bar shape (or whatever shape you want!).
6. Tightly wrap the plastic wrap around each bar and store in the refrigerator (if they last that long)!

1 comment:

B Sue Fly said...

Cherry Pie Lara bars are my favorite! I can't wait to try this recipe, thanks so much for posting it! BTW, I love your blog, I just found it, we have a lot in common!