December 14, 2010

Back at it (kind of) and Advice Needed

So, after eating lots of this:
Veggie Tofu Pho (Pronounced Fuh.  For the longest time I thought it was Fo, like no...yes, I'm lame).  This stuff is so good and is the perfect warm, comfort food when you're sick.  Yum!

And drinking a magic concoction of this:
This concoction rocks!  My husband made me a mix of Delsym and Walgreen's version of Theraflu every night before bed.  Let's just say that stuff works!  It actually let me sleep instead of coughing up some disgusting green/brown stuff all night long.  And, when you're sick, getting enough sleep is key to getting better.

I was able to do this:
source
The temperature was 64 degrees today!  Yes, you heard that right.  It was 64 degrees in Denver today on December 14th!  What is with the weather this year?  Don't get me wrong, I am LOVING it, but it's just weird for it to be in the mid 60s in the middle of December.

I have not been running for almost two weeks and I was slowly losing my mind.  I really don't know how Beth at SUAR is doing it....you amaze me Beth!  Anyways, the weather was just too beautiful today not to take advantage of it.  So, I put on some shorts and a t-shirt (in December!!) and went for a run around Wash Park.  I was a little worried about my cough, but it was AWESOME!  I felt so good and my legs felt even better.  My body was feeling a little worn out before I got sick, so maybe I needed to get sick to give my body a break from marathon training.  I ran and ran and ran and loved every  minute of it.  I didn't know how long I wanted to run, but I didn't care.  I was outside running and it felt great.  However, around the 4 1/2 mile mark, I started to feel it a little in my throat and started coughing a little bit.  Uh-oh.  I decided to stop at 5miles.  Once I stopped, I coughed a little bit, but it never turned into a huge coughing fit!  Hooray!  So, I guess I'm "back at it," but I'm definitely going to take it slow!
Happy and NOT coughing after my run! :)
Advice Needed:
Boxerjock  by Under Armour
This is for the guys.  So, now that my husband is running more miles, he has started to realize that wearing cotton underwear on his runs is NOT a good idea.  Let's just say he's getting some chaffing in some not so fun places.  At first I thought, "You wear underwear under your running shorts?"  because girls don't need to do that if there is a liner in the shorts.  But, then I realized that he's got parts hanging around that I don't have...ha ha!  I got  him a pair of Under Armour's mesh underwear, which he likes.  But, my question is, what do you guys wear on your runs?  What brands/styles have you worn that you really like?  Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!!  :)

32 comments:

Patrick Mahoney said...

I have some of the Under Armour underwear, it's fantastic - I've never had an issue. So I'll either wear those or lately the other option is CW-X compression shorts. I also believe you should always wear loose courtesy shorts on top but I must admit I've broken my own rules with the CW-X shorts a few times.

Michelle Simmons said...

Glad you're feeling better! Being sick is no fun, but running sure is a good cure. :)

Dawn said...

I am so glad you're better! I am going absolutely nutty not running....feel awful too, and our weather is NOT near what yours is. (freezing snow/rain tonight):(

Now that I know you conquered it- it's a light;)
Just send me some of your weather:))

Amanda@runninghood said...

That Tofu soup stuff looks so good! I love tofu! I'm a wanna be veggie! My hubby has to use Vaseline sometimes because of the chaffing. He usually uses his boxer briefs as usual. Good luck with that. And thanks for choosing such an awesome man undies pic. You could have totally chosen a less easy on the eye photo from the next so thanks. :)

DRog said...

Great news on ur running again!
Usually any running short for men will have it built in, otherwise those UA underwear or Nike makes the same work great under any shorts

abbi said...

Yay! Glad you are feeling better and very good that the weather cooperated nicely as well!

Regina said...

Glad you are feeling better. That soup looks yummy! Recipe? Pleeeeeeaaaase?

Jealous of your temps! It is so much colder here. So much more colder.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I wear running shorts that are lined as well, they make longer ones, I have a bunch that go just above the knee. Running shorts are almost just as the underarmour underwear.

Unknown said...

Glad you are feeling better. My husband uses tri shorts or running tights with no underwear (I think?). He definitely doesn't have any fancy sports underwear! ;)

Christi said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better! And isn't this weather just awesome! I am loving every bit of it but I believe snow is forecasted for tomorrow! Bummmer!

Beth said...

So glad t hear you are back running! My mom always told me that running can clear out a cold (not sure that's true). But I have to disagree about the weather, I miss the SNOW! sure it's nice to run and bike in 60-70 degree weather but it's freaking me out.

Quinton J said...

Pho is the BEST when you're sick.

Your husband looks pretty fit in that pic.
I have some Under Armour...but found some other breathable underwear at Target that were much cheaper and work just fine.

misszippy said...

So jealous of your great weather! Glad you got to enjoy it, in shorts no less.

On the advice..gotta ask Kovas on this one. ; )

Suzy said...

Glad you are feeling better. I'm not a guy, but my guy runs. He is fine wearing shorts that have a liner. He's also a fan of Anti Monkey Butt Powder...I'll leave it at that. :)

Bill said...

Good to hear you are back on the road. As for running wear, I have had issues with running shorts for years. Those liners just don't do the trick for anything long. I like my tri shorts. Snug fit without the rubbing. I will try those Under Armour briefs though. Oh, and a bit of Glide always helps.

Unknown said...

Commando running, for sure. I like the Nike jogging shorts with the built in manties.

ShutUpandRun said...

Don't have the parts, so can't speak to the men's underwear thing...seems like you've gotten some good feedback...

But - I will say, so glad you are feeling better. Wash Park must have been amazing yesterday; I am jealous. Your little drug concoction sounded amazing and I will have to hit your husband up for exact recipe when I get sick next time. Also...do you you the recipe for the Fu??

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better!

Emz said...

YAY for "back at it".

awesome.
awesome.
awesome.

Krista said...

Glad you are running again :) My husband wears Under Armor Compression Shorts under his running shorts or tights. Something like this: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/apparel/bottoms/shorts/pid1201164-Men-s-UA-HeatGear-174-Compression-Short/1201164-625

Velma said...

The soup looks amazing! Thanks for the holiday idea for hubby :)

Anne-Marie said...

Yay for feeling better and running! I'm so jealous of your weather!!! I think the windchill here yesterday was around 2°F. Brrr...

I was pronouncing Pho like "no" as well! Thanks for pointing that out :)

Jason said...

Happy that your sea legs are back and that the weather is cooperating for you too....how awesome is that?

I wear running shorts with the liners built in.

Sage said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Seems I'm consistent with a lot of other guys. Either running shorts with the built in liner or UA underwear/compression shorts. Yes, cotton will rub you the wrong way, especially the longer distance runs.

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

I wear exactly what you show on your post and I love them. They are extremely comfortable in both warm and cold weather. The most I have run in them is 16 miles but no chafing at all ever! I would not run without them.

JC said...

Mmmmm that soup looks tasty! All of your food pics you post look so tasty! Nice job on the run and glad you are feeling better.
Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Unknown said...

Glad you are feeling better and yay for a great run! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you're feeling better !

Jill said...

YAY for feeling better, especially on Tuesday (Kathy Sabin said it was a record high of 70 that day - wow!).

Maybe we can go for a short run or something during the holidays, if you are around. I am off for two weeks :) Yay me!! Keep feeling better!!!

Caratunk Girl said...

I am so happy you are feeling better and got to run!!

I am waiting to hear Kovas talk about Thermajock.

Ironman By Thirty said...

Glad you are feeling better!

When I first started running, I went with compression shorts under my running shorts. However, when I discovered lined running shorts, I went commando and never went back.

Something like this (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4027018&cid=CSE:GoogleProductSearch) comes in a 9" inseam which is more like a basketball short and is not shorty short.

Unknown said...

On long runs I wear my tri shorts under and on shorter distances I wear a semi compression undie drom target. Need to try and get some lined shorts for the summer.