July 14, 2010

Humpastry Day - Rhubarb Bread

Rhubarb Bread
I felt like baking some bread today with my boys, so I decided to make some with the fresh rhubarb I got from my neighbor.  When I was baking this a delicious smell filled the entire house and I could not wait for it to be done!  This bread is super yummy and just kind of melts in your mouth when you eat it.  It is a little sweet, so feel free to cut down on the amount of sugar.  The topping is optional, but oh so good!

Ingredients:
Makes 2 - 9x5 loafs
*  1C soymilk
*  1Tbl. lemon juice
*  1tsp. vanilla extract
*  1 1/2C brown sugar
*  1/3C canola oil
*  1/3C applesauce
*  1 flax egg (1Tbl. ground flax mixed with 3Tbl. water)
*  1 1/4C all purpose flour
*  1 1/4C whole wheat flour
*  1tsp. salt
*  1tsp. baking soda
*  1 1/2C chopped rhubarb

Topping:
*  1/4C brown sugar
*  1/2tsp. cinnamon
*  1Tbl. butter, melted

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2.  Lightly grease two 9x5" loaf pans.
3.  In a small bowl, mix the milk, lemon juice, and vanilla.  Let stand for 10 minutes.
4.  In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, oil, and flax egg together.
5.  In another bowl, combine the flours, salt, and baking soda.
6.  Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture alternately with the milk mixture until just combined.
7.  Fold in the rhubarb.
8.  Pour the batter into the loaf pans.
9.  If making the topping: In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter.  Sprinkle the mixture over the batter in the loaf pans.
10.  Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
11.  Enjoy!

7 comments:

Julie said...

That looks sooooo good! I was thinking this earlier this week about making some kind of quick bread and that just might fit the bill! I'll be buying some rubarb this week I think. Thanks Aimee!

Regina said...

These Wednesday posts should be called "Mouth Watering Wednesdays"!!!

Anonymous said...

It looks so moist and yummy

Jon said...

That looks so gross prebaked. haha!

justme said...

oh that looks tasty... i love strawberry rhuburb pie....so i believe this would be right up my alley

DRog said...

Im so glad I didnt read this at work when Im hungry...but instead at home after dinner - looks gooood!
-D

Kevin said...

I'm am going to have to make this up soon. I love Rhubarb.

Kevin
http://halftriing.blogspot.com/