Apple Pie Bars
At first I thought I would do a post about some yummy gingerbread cookies I made, but then I thought about how lately everywhere I look I see recipes for sweet treats. So, I thought I'd do something different. I wasn't sure what to call these, but the end result is really a cross between apple pie and apple muffins. These are GOOD! My husband and boys literally gobbled these up! Oh, and did I mention that they are pretty healthy too??? :) The flavor is really nice and subtle, but if you like more spice, feel free to do heaping measurements. They are yummy cold or slightly warmed and make a great breakfast or snack. I hope you enjoy them! :)
Makes 12 bars
* 2 flax eggs (2Tbl ground flax mixed with 6Tbl water)
* 3/4C brown sugar
* 1/4C raw sugar
* 3/4C applesauce, unsweetened
* 3 apples, cored, peeled, and diced (you can make your pieces bigger or smaller depending on what you like)
* 1C rolled oats (not quick cook)
* 1C whole wheat flour
* 1C all purpose flour
* 1/2tsp. salt
* 1tsp. baking powder
* 1tsp. baking soda
* 2tsp. cinnamon (plus more for dusting the apples)
* 1/2tsp. nutmeg
* 1tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a 9x13" pan and set aside.
3. Make your flax eggs and set aside until thickened ~5min.
4. Peel, core, and chop your apples. Having one of these makes it so much easier.
6. Add in the vanilla extract.
7. In another bowl mix the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oats.
8. Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet and mix until just blended.
9. Fold in the apples.
12. Enjoy! :)