January 11, 2012

Humpastry Day - Ginger Snaps

Ginger Snaps
Sooo, I know that everyone is probably done with all the sweet treats that seemed to be everywhere over the holidays.  BUT, I had to post the recipe for these because THEY ARE SO GOOD!!  I made these for Christmas and I was amazed at how good they turned out.  Seriously, everyone loved them and couldn't seem to get enough of them.  They are spicalicious (I know that's not a word, but it should be) and I LOVE how they're made with whole wheat flour and less fat then traditional ginger snaps!  AND, they are the perfect consistency with a semi-crunchy outside and a chewy  middle.  Yum, yum, yum!!

Ingredients:
Makes ~3 dozen cookies

*  1/4C Earth Balance Butter
*  1/4C unsweetened applesauce
*  1/2C br. sugar
*  1/4C raw sugar/white sugar (*Note: I'm posting the original recipe, but when I make these again, I am actually going to decrease the raw sugar to 2Tbl)
*  1 flax egg (1Tbl. ground flax mixed with 3Tbl water)
*  1/2C molasses
*  2C whole wheat flour
*  1 1/2tsp. baking soda
*  1tsp. baking powder
*  1 1/2tsp. ground ginger
*  3/4tsp. ground nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice (*Note: if you like a lot of spice, feel free to do heaping amounts!)
*  raw sugar for topping (optional)

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with a silpat, parchment, or grease lightly.
2.  Make your flax egg and set aside while you do the next step.
3.  In a large bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices.
4.  In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, applesauce, brown sugar, and raw sugar.
5.  Mix the flax egg into the wet mixture.  Then, add the molasses and mix until combined.
6.  Stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just blended.
7.  Using a spoon or Tablespoon, scoop out the dough into small balls.  Place on the cookie sheet 2" apart.
8.  If you want, sprinkle a tiny amount of raw sugar on the top of each cookie before baking.
9.  Bake for ~9minutes, until the tops are cracked.  *Note:  you can bake them longer for a crispy cookie, or for less time for a chewier cookie.
10.  When the cookies are done, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
11.  Enjoy!

7 comments:

CautiouslyAudacious said...

I love earth balance! So the flax egg works well? I've read that as a common substitute just haven't ever tried it. I've used bananas or tofu...

Jill said...

They sound delicious! I wonder if I can remake them with my gluten-free flour and they'd taste ok. I wish I weren't so lazy, I have to start trying new things. Thanks girl!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Yum, yum and yum

Christi said...

Ohhhh, snap!

Jason said...

OMG Aimee those look so freaking awesome.

I'm going to make more bread this weekend and then I'm making these. This recipe is bookmarked.

I may have to showcase your recipe on my blog if you don't mind.

Missy said...

I love chewy ginger snaps, dipped in pumpkin dip. Opps, that probably isn't healthy. :-)
I gotta try these.

Laima said...

Yum - those look delicious!