October 30, 2010

Tag, I'm it!!


Yay!  Colleen at IRONDIVA tagged me to do a fun questionnaire post!  If you haven't been to her blog, you should check it out!  O-kay, so here goes!



1.  If you could eat anything without any health repercussions or guilt, what would your meal be?


Out of all of the questions, this one was the hardest for me.  I don't really know why, but it was really difficult for me to think of something.  So, this answer may seem kind of lame, but whatever.  I absolutely love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter or chocolate and caramel.  So, I guess if I could eat anything it would be lots of goodies like samoa girl scout cookies, rolos, homemade fudge, Cold Stone's Founder's Favorite ice cream creation (sooo good!), reese's pieces, reese's peanut butter cups, chocolate chips with peanut butter (yes, I have been known to take a scoop of PB and load chocolate chips on top of it!), or any other thing you can think of that is pure chocolaty goodness! :)


2.  If you could meet anyone living or dead, who would it be and why?
I've  never really been into wanting to meet some famous or historical person.  I don't know why, but I just never have.  So, I think I'm going to steal use Colleen's answer and say my blogger friends.  I just think it would be so much fun to put an actual face and personality to a name.  I love reading all of the comments I get and I love following all of your blogs.  I have learned so much from all of you, and it would just be nice to meet you in person.  Hopefully someday that will happen! :)


3.  Why did you start blogging and what did you expect when you started?
I started blogging last fall because I think I needed some way to connect to other people who were going through this crazy triathlon lifestyle.  I don't have any friends that are into endurance sports, so it was hard for me to talk to people about my training and what I was going through because they just didn't "get" it.  I started following a couple of blogs, and learned a lot about nutrition, training, products, etc.  I started wondering if maybe I had something to share with other athletes out there too.  I decided to start my blog, but I didn't tell anyone, not even my husband.  I was kind of embarrassed about it for some reason.  But, I found that I really enjoyed writing about my training and life.  I started connecting to people out there in the blogosphere that knew exactly what I was talking about, and it was awesome.
I honestly didn't expect anyone to follow me, but I found myself getting excited when I had 3 followers, then 5, then 10!  My blog has definitely evolved since the beginning.  My hope has always been that the things I share help others in some way, whether it be motivation, training tips, healthy recipes, or just support.
Like I mentioned above, I have learned so much and have gotten so much support and encouragement from all of you.  I hope I've done the same for you! :)


4.  What is the one book you could read over and over again?
source
I don't know if I can really pick one book that I loved so much to read over and over again.  But, I do have an author.  When I was younger, I was obsessed with wolves and would always pick books about them to read.  I was introduced to Jack London and loved every book that I read.  "Call of the Wild," "The Sea Wolf," and "White Fang" are some of the more popular ones.  So, while I may not have a specific book, I do have a specific author that I could read over and over again.    
5.  If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
source
I would love to go to Europe with my husband and do the whole bicycling tour thing, but on our own.  Since we both love riding, I just think it would be fun to tour different places while on a bike.  It would be cheaper, a way to get in exercise, and we'd get to see things that most "tourists" wouldn't get to see or experience.  We've talked about doing it someday when our boys are older.  Hopefully someday it will be a reality.  :)
 
6.  If you could have a TV show on the Food Network, what would it be?
Humpastry Day TV! :)  Ha ha.  I would actually love to have a show on Food Network that talked about how easy it is to switch ingredients for healthier ones.  Guests could email some of their favorite recipes, and we could work together to recreate their recipe incorporating better ingredients. I think the majority of people do not know how many different options there are out there to make their food healthier. I also think people assume that taking away the butter, sugar, and white flour will leave their food bland, but it's really not so.  Anyways, I just think that would be awesome! :)
  
7.  What was the best meal you ever had?
source Seriously, look at this view! 
You know, I have had a lot of good food in my life.  But, when I think about my best meal, it wasn't really the food that made it so great.  It was more of the atmosphere, company, and all around experience.  With that being said, I would have to say that the best meal I ever had was during our honeymoon in Kauai.  We went to this amazing seafood restaurant called The Beach House.  That was before we became vegetarians, so we had this macadamia encrusted mahi mahi that was absolutely delicious and the most amazing desert afterwards.  But what made it the best meal was the fact that it was such a romantic time.  The restaurant overlooked the ocean and the whole side of the restaurant was open to the outside.  You could smell the ocean, hear the ocean waves, and enjoy the most beautiful view ever of the sunset!  It was amazing!  


8.  Who has been your greatest influence on your love for food and learning to cook?
I would definitely have to say my mom.  Growing up we almost always ate dinner as a family.  My mom is an amazing cook and baker and she definitely had a huge influence on me.  But, my father-n-law was the one that started me thinking about being a vegetarian.  He recommended I read The China Study, which I did.  One month after reading that book, we started transitioning into vegetarians and haven't really looked back.

Since then, I have taken it upon myself to learn how to cook and bake as a vegetarian (almost vegan).  I got lots of great cookbooks and did lots of research online.  I found that just because you're a vegetarian, it doesn't mean you eat "healthy."  There are lots of vegetarians that are overweight.  So, as an endurance athlete, and a mother to two boys, I then took it one step further and really started thinking about the food we were eating and how to make it as healthy as possible.  We still eat pizza, Chipotle, and Jimmy John's, on occasion.  But, for the most part, we eat home cooked meals almost every night.  It can be a lot of work, but I have a system for planning meals and having certain ingredients on hand already.  My boys love to "cook" and "bake" with me, and I love that!  I can't wait until their older when I can start teaching them how to cook too.  Hopefully, I can instill healthy eating habits in my boys for when they get out on their own.  But, who knows.  Only time will tell!        

Alrighty, now I need to tag some of you!  I know there are some of you that have already been tagged, so I'll try and pick those of you who I haven't seen posts from yet!

1.  Cynthia at Balls in the Air
2.  Kristin at Gotta Love Triathlon
3.  Mark at Journeys of a Triathlete Father of Five
4.  Alisa at Ambitious Aspirations Make Great Accomplishments

21 comments:

Pahla said...

All I want in the world right now is a spoonful of peanut butter with chocolate chips on it!! Yummy!
Fun post - thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

This is great....and my answer to travel would be the bike tour too!!!! THAT is on my list to do for certain!

I always love reading posts from other moms who are out there "Tri-ing" and I often wonder if our thoughts throughout the day are the same. It IS a tough challenge to train for something important to us while trying to juggle kids/home/marriage.....always glad to read your posts.
Thank you!!!!!!

Christi said...

I love your answers! My hubby is a huge peanut butter fan. I often find him with a spoon of peanut butter!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh... that Cold Stone sundae looks AMAZING! I love peanut butter too!

Thanks for answering this... I've loved getting to know you better through your blog and it's little questions and answers like this that help me learn more! :) Hope you are having a great weekend!

ShutUpandRun said...

I like your cooking show about swapping ingredients. Great answers...

Julie said...

I loved this Aimee:) I started blogging for some of the sames reason you did. I didn't tell any of my friends but my husband and children know that I blog. You are right, blogging is such a wonderful way to meet people who have the same passion!

Jon said...

You should totally check out Back Roads for European Cycling Tours. You stay at really nice places and eat very nice food. Fully SAG wagon supported rides. They even do one on the big island of Hawaii. One day I am doing one of these tours.

http://www.backroads.com/

Patrick Mahoney said...

Very cool. I completely agree with 1 and 5.

Julie said...

Oh yum...so with you on the chocolate and peanut butter...and make that ice cream and I'm all over it!

Jason said...

So let's see here.....you and I have too much in common when it comes to PB and Chocolate.

I have absolutely done the scoop of PB and chips but I take the spoon and dip it in the PB and savor it as I put it in my mouth. Then shove some chips into my mouth and oh what goodness.

Somoas are best served FROZEN with a cup of coffee. Oh heaven.

Jill said...

Chocolate and PB - yummy!!!!!
Sometime we'll have to meet up for a run :).

Molly said...

I agree with #2, I would love to meet many of my blog friends!

Lindsey said...

omg, that ice cream!! It's probably a good thing I don't live near a coldstone anymore!

And congrats - I saw you won over on Tall Mom's blog!

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

~Ron

Unknown said...

Oh boy!!! I guess Ill get started tomorrow!! I dont cook though!! ha ha!! I make my boyfriend do it! :)

Caratunk Girl said...

Nice list!! That is awesome. I want ice cream and peanut butter and chocolate chips...

Amanda@runninghood said...

Nice to find you. I love what you said about why and when you started to blog. I feel the same way. I just started my to blog and am finding myself embarrassed about telling my friends (even though I have posted it on FB). I think I feel vulnerable sharing with people that I know since I'm just starting out but it also seems like a slow process in getting connected with other people or getting "followers" (I hate that word). Looking forward to reading your blog!

Anne-Marie said...

My ex-bf and I did a bike tour of England 2 summers ago and it was amazing- I'd highly recommend it! Such a cool way to see a country. Also, it's priceless when you stop and ask someone for directions, and when they hear where you're headed, they say something like, "But that's 40 miles from here!" I think it was that experience that has made 'bike friendly' a requirement for potential boyfriends :)

funderson said...

Oh my gosh! I can't wait for the Humpastry Show!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

This was fun to read and Humpastry Show would be a hit

Regina said...

I was engaged in Kauai and went there again for our 'Babymoon'. Love it there. I also really liked "Call Of The Wild", awesome book. Can't wait to introduce it to my son when he is old enough.

I would tune in regularly to the Humpastry Show!!